installed Vista and upgraded to the Vista versions of the software,
    this utility has a problem. WHenever I click on the icon, almost
    immediately Windows Vista puts up a message box that says "PMB
    Launcher has stopped working. Vista is checking for a solution to your
    problem."

A few seconds later this is replaced by another box that says "PMB
    Launcher has stopped working.. A problem caused the program to stop
    working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a
    solution is available." The only option is to close the program.
    Nowhere can I find out what exactly is the problem and there is
    nothing on the Sony website that indicates other users have this
    probem. THis is getting to be problematic as my camera is filling up
    and I can't offload my pictures.

How can I find out what might be the problem? Perhaps it is is simple
    as me having an incorrect path to the pictures folder or something,
    but I can't find out.

Thanks.

Leroy Guest

Re: Program has stopped working

Since your issue appears to be related to Sony's software, contact Sony
    Support and request troubleshooting assistance:
    http://esupport.sony.com/

Dave-UK Guest

You could try uninstalling the software and then re-installing it as Administrator.
    Right-click the set-up exe and Run as Administrator.

MikeB Guest

I would do this if I could find an error code or message, but there is
    no indication from the Vista pop-up what the error might be. That's
    what is so difficult in this situation.

MikeB Guest

I am th eonly user on this computer. I am the admin and I installed it
    under my userid. Will it make a difference if I install it as you
    suggest? Is this yet another Vista quirk?

Dave-UK Guest

It may make a difference. A Vista admin is not as privileged as an XP admin.

Allen Guest

You didn't say what Sony you are using, but if it is a still camera it
    most likely has a removable memory card. You can get a very cheap USB
    card reader (perhaps $10 US)and use it for downloading to your computer.
    Most "dedicated" photographers use a card reader anyway, as it is easier
    than attaching your camera, and it doesn't use up the camera battery.
    One caution: use the camera's built-in functions to erase and format the
    card.
    Allen

Re: Program has stopped working - Fix

OK - I think I have cracked this one. I'll have to do this from memory since PMB is working now and I kind of tripped over the solution and as a consequence did not log the steps. Not sure if this will work for Vista 64 bit, but it worked for my Windows 7 - 64 bit.

1.) install ver. 1.1 of PMB from the CD
    2.) go to sony's support web site and put in your model number here - http://esupport.sony.com/perl/select-system.pl, then click on software and drivers, enter your OS
    3.) It will list 2 files for PMB, 1 is a download manager (not sure you need it as I didn't use it), the other is the PMB update
    4.) DO NOT install at this time, but instead, scroll down (after choosing the PMB file from the 2 files) and look at the "important notes". There is a prerequisite version link (3.0.05) that you must install first.
    5.) after installing 3.0.50 update, go back and install 4.2.10
    6.) once the pc reboots, plug your camera in and upload your pics/videos (the PMB media check tool will be running in your system tray and will allow you to upload the pics and videos to a folder, it starts up automatically when you plug your camera in). It will ask you to specify a folder)
    7.) Launch PMB and from the initial menu go to the tools section and select the reset to default settings
    8.) go back to view by folders or view by calendar, when you launch (this is where mine would crap out), but because you've rest to default, PMB must know where your registered folder is. When it asks you to register the folder DECLINE, cancel as you can register later and it tells you that!

So here is the theory and the next step.

In windows 7, you have a "libraries" section. This is a set of virtual pointers. Unfortunatly, "libraries" has the common names for Pictures, Videos, Music set up and PMB freaks out because it, by default, looks in the pictures folder and the first one it comes across is the pictures folder in "libraries" not a physical folder.

At this point, you have effectively prevented PMB from even looking.

Now go to FILE > Register Viewed Folders and navigate to the location where you are storing your files (the one you picked when you plugged your camera in) The folder tree here doesn't even see the libraries virtual folder.

Navigate to your folder, let it analyze it and you are done! Hope this works for you as well.

Re: Program has stopped working - Fix

OK - I think I have cracked this one. I'll have to do this from memory since PMB is working now and I kind of tripped over the solution and as a consequence did not log the steps. Not sure if this will work for Vista 64 bit, but it worked for my Windows 7 - 64 bit.

1.) install ver. 1.1 of PMB from the CD
    2.) go to sony's support web site and put in your model number here - http://esupport.sony.com/perl/select-system.pl, then click on software and drivers, enter your OS
    3.) It will list 2 files for PMB, 1 is a download manager (not sure you need it as I didn't use it), the other is the PMB update
    4.) DO NOT install at this time, but instead, scroll down (after choosing the PMB file from the 2 files) and look at the "important notes". There is a prerequisite version link (3.0.05) that you must install first.
    5.) after installing 3.0.50 update, go back and install 4.2.10
    6.) once the pc reboots, plug your camera in and upload your pics/videos (the PMB media check tool will be running in your system tray and will allow you to upload the pics and videos to a folder, it starts up automatically when you plug your camera in). It will ask you to specify a folder)
    7.) Launch PMB and from the initial menu go to the tools section and select the reset to default settings
    8.) go back to view by folders or view by calendar, when you launch (this is where mine would crap out), but because you've rest to default, PMB must know where your registered folder is. When it asks you to register the folder DECLINE, cancel as you can register later and it tells you that!

So here is the theory and the next step.

In windows 7, you have a "libraries" section. This is a set of virtual pointers. Unfortunatly, "libraries" has the common names for Pictures, Videos, Music set up and PMB freaks out because it, by default, looks in the pictures folder and the first one it comes across is the pictures folder in "libraries" not a physical folder.

At this point, you have effectively prevented PMB from even looking.

Now go to FILE > Register Viewed Folders and navigate to the location where you are storing your files (the one you picked when you plugged your camera in) The folder tree here doesn't even see the libraries virtual folder.

Navigate to your folder, let it analyze it and you are done! Hope this works for you as well.