Thread: Running in elevated mode

Running in elevated mode

Hi, I am running Windows Vista Home Premium, installed it recently on one of my desktop. I have a small question regarding the same. I am trying to run the system in 'elevated mode' (hope you know what it is) but every time I try to do so, I use to get an error message saying I don’t have enough privileges.

How it can be? There is just one USER account on this system and that is Admin account, I am the only user of this computer and logged into the Administrator account. The question arises when going into 'command prompt'. Can anyone please tell me how can I fix the issue?

Re: Running in elevated mode

In vista when you type CMD in start Menu, and see 'CMD' in the results on top, instead of running it directly, right click the same and select Run as Administrator. Thats it. Though you are logged in as Administrator there are many problem in Vista when when run, they run with standard user privileges. Hence you need to run them as administrator.

Thank you very much for the help buddy, that really worked fine. It was so easy. By the way while we're here, can you please provide some more info on most common commands as they were in previous Windows OS's, i.e. 'Fdisk C:' or the like, or tell me were to find them?
    Thanks again.

FDISK hasn't been available since Windows Me. Check this for more info on the same. http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...u=command+line

Nope, i dont think Fdisk are available now a days anywhere. But as you want to know about which commands are available then simply run command prompt and type: 'help'.

This will bring you a list of available commands. To get more info about any specific command you can run that particular command with 'help'. For example: 'help xcopy'.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascetica View Post
    In vista when you type CMD in start Menu, and see 'CMD' in the results on top, instead of running it directly, right click the same and select Run as Administrator. Thats it. Though you are logged in as Administrator there are many problem in Vista when when run, they run with standard user privileges. Hence you need to run them as administrator.
    Works perfect in Windows 7 also!