Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Vista Help
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Vista Windows Update error Code: 80070490 Windows Update encountered an unknown error

Vista Help

Old 25-01-2009

Vista Windows Update error Code: 80070490 Windows Update encountered an unknown error

I need some help to fix Windows update error that I am facing regularly. I hope there are people who will be willing to fix this up. I have Windows Vista Ultimate. When I try to run Windows update I receive a error saying that Windows cannot find update. The error code is 80070490 and it stopped by popping up a message that Windows Update has faced unknown error. I had tried some basic steps to fix the issue out. I had first stopped windows service and then deleted the folder SoftwareDistribution from C:\Windows. It will be auto generated on reboot.

Old 25-01-2009

Re: Vista Windows Update error Code: 80070490 Windows Update encountered an unknown error

This error can be associated with major system issue. It can be due to a corrupted files system. There are number of things that you have to try and if that does not work then you need to re-install the operating system back again. At first you can start working with System File Checker tool. This tool is capable of verifying the system integrity and offer you a better support. If this does not work then there is no option other than formatting your computer. If you need more info on System file checker then visit the below link. Second thing you can try to install updates manually also. If that fixes then it is well and good. The second link below offers you a quick fix to repair the error. If SFC fails to work then you can try out the second option also. The last thing that I can suggest you is visit Microsoft Download Center and get the recent updates from there. It will work most probably.
Old 03-05-2012

Re: Vista Windows Update error Code: 80070490 Windows Update encountered an unknown error

This is a very common Vista error. It appear when some installed update in your system failed to work. You can check this in cbs.log. The log file has entry on which update has failed and needed to be re-installed. The file is located inside Windows folder > Logs > cbs. Open the file and look for Failed to Resolve packages error. Check for those updates on internet and download them manually. Re-install each of them and then reboot your system.
Old 04-05-2012

This is usually fixed by re-installing windows update. A small fix for this is is running system restore. Sometime due to some issue the updates fails to perform causing Vista errors 80070490. The above solution is right to some extent. In cbs.log file you can check the kb number of update which shows failed to resolve. Or simply go on control panel and click on check for update.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Vista Help
Tags: , , ,