Thread: Using 32 bit IE7 with 64 bit Vista

Using 32 bit IE7 with 64 bit Vista

Adobe currently doesn't have a flash player which works with the 64 bit Vista Home Premium edition. I'd like to use the 32 bit version of IE7 so that I can install and use the flash player. I've been told that 64 bit Vista systems come with both the 32 and 64 bit versions of IE7 installed and all I need to do is "click the 32 bit IE desktop icon." Well, I have only 1 IE icon on my desktop, and it opens the 64 bit version. I don't recall ever seeing a shortcut for the 32 bit IE on my desktop, but if there was I must have deleted it. I tried to download the 32 bit version of IE7 from Microsoft, but their website recognizes that I am using 64 bit Vista and won't download it.

Any suggestions as to how I could 1) determine if my computer does indeed have both versions of IE on it, 2) open the 32 bit IE if it is currently installed, or 3) get the 32 bit version if it's not currently on my computer?

Actually, I only need the 32 bit IE for the Shockwave site so that I can play some of the flash games that I'm addicted to, so it's no tragedy if I have to wait until Adobe comes up with a flash player that works with the 64 bit IE--just an annoyance. I guess I probably should have chosen the 32 bit version of Vista when I upgraded from my old computer and XP.

Even tho I'm 66, I'm relatively new to computers, so I'm probably missing some obvious solution and would appreciate any help and advice.

zachd [MSFT] Guest

Re: Using 32 bit IE7 with 64 bit Vista

Run
    %programfiles(x86)%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Voila. =)

Tyro Guest

Open Explorer (Windows Logo + E), double click Local Disk (C:), double click
    Program Files (x86). If 32 bit Internet Explorer is installed, there will be
    a folder called Internet Explorer. Double click it. You should see a file
    called iexplore.exe. That is 32 bit Internet Explorer. Right click the file,
    drag it to the desktop, release the right mouse button and select Create
    Shortcuts Here from the menu. The 64 bit version of Internet Explorer is in
    the folder Program Files.

zachd and Tyro,

Thank you for your help. I had looked in the Program Files folder the Program Files(x86) folder before, but didn't realize that the IE's contained in them weren't the same ones. You both aimed me to the correct location and I am now the proud owner of 2--count 'em--2 IE shortcuts, 1 to the 64 bit and the other to the 32 bit version. With the 32 bit IE, I was able to install the flash player with no problem, so now I'm all set. Thanks again. I would never have figured it out by myself.

Tyro Guest

Program Files (x86) contains 32 bit programs and Program Files contains 64
    bit programs.

I have the opposite problem. The 32-bit IE has stopped working. How do I get it restored or correct the problem?

zachd [MSFT] Guest

Define "stopped working"?

TechArena is horrible site. Be careful when working through those people,
    as it makes helping you *harder*.