Thread: Run as administrator option disabled

Run as administrator option disabled

I recently bought a brand new Toshiba Laptop with Windows Vista. It worked fine so far but since yesterday I am not able to install anything on this system. Strange, I am the only Administrator of this laptop and there is no other user account. But still it is not allowing me the complete access. I searched the web for this problem and found few solutions but nothing worked to fix the problem. I even tried enabling the built-in Administrator but yet no help.

After lots more troubleshooting finally I came to know that the option “Run as Administrator” is disabled in my Context Menu. Any idea why? How can I re-enable this option and fix other issues as well? Many Thanks for all your helps.

RE: Run as administrator option disabled

Hope you know that Microsoft introduced a new security feature in Vista called as "UAC". Whenever you try to install anything on Vista based systems, it will prompt you first for UAC and aks you for permission to install new programs. Such permissions can be granted whether the user is in a standard or administrator account. Standard user gives permission by entering administrator password.

SO probably you might have made some changes in UAC which has created the problem. Anyways, just try out this and see if it works. Go to Start and type UAC followed by Enter key. If it is tuned off, enable the same. Apart from this can you tell me if you are able to get back to the original administrator account that was used in the very beginning when the computer was taken out of the box and set up, and everything worked fine? (Close out all other administrator accounts except the original. Having more than one administrator account can cause problems.)