Thread: Can't cancel print job

Can't cancel print job

I am using a HP Printer on my HP desktop running on Windows Vista Home Premium. Everything working fine but when i gave a print command and want to cancel it due to some reason, it takes not less than 20 minutes to delete the same.

When i click a print job and select "Cancel" it shows "Deleting - Printing" as the status but remains their and i need to wait atleast 20 minutes to let it go. Any idea what is wrong? I am using this printer since long time, it worked fine on Xp, problem started only with Vista.

RE: Can't cancel print job

First of all try to uninstall the printer Driver, restart the system and install it again. See if it fixes the problem. If not then then the problem is with Printer. You should try contacting HP support for the same. Contact them and/or uninstall/reinstall their software.

RE: Can't cancel print job

Thats wrong Han$naH. I am telling this because i have Epson as well as HP printers. I was using this with XP without any problem. Since i installed them on my brand new Vista computer, surprisingly i too has the same problem. Cancelling print job takes more than 15 minutes. So it is not the problem of Printer but Vista.

Hope anyone here have any working solution.

Re: Can't cancel print job

OK guys, i have a batch file which may help you both. This will cancel trhe print job immediately after you run it. I have been using it with my XP since long timne nad it works fine, buit i am not sure if it will work on Vista as well. Here it is:

@echo off
    echo.
    echo Purging the print queue . . .
    net stop Spooler
    echo Deleting all print jobs . . .
    ping localhost -n 4 > nul
    del /q %SystemRoot%\system32\spool\printers\*.*
    net start Spooler
    echo Done!
    ping localhost -n 4 > nul

Thank you very much for the help buddy, it do work fine with Vista as well. Now i dont need to wait for 20 minutes for cancelling the print job.

Hope Microsoft reading this post. They should work on this annoying issue.

Thank you for the batch file, I used it successfully with Vista Home Premium. I really appreciate it, I was stuck!

I'm confused by your posts here. I have this issue in windows vista. My printing job is stuck in deleting status and the printer has been removed from the computer. I cannot actually uninstall it and fix everything because of this printing job that is stuck. What do I do?

How do I do this batch file? Im not very computer savvy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiea View Post
    I'm confused by your posts here. I have this issue in windows vista. My printing job is stuck in deleting status and the printer has been removed from the computer. I cannot actually uninstall it and fix everything because of this printing job that is stuck. What do I do?
    You can go through the following steps to clear "deleted" print jobs from the print queue.

1) Go to Control Panel

2) Select System and Maintenance

3) Select Administrative Tools

4) Double-click on Services

5) In the list of services, scroll down until you find one called "Print Spooler"

6) Right-click on "Print Spooler" and select "Restart"

7) The "deleted" jobs will disappear and any queued jobs in your print queue will print