Thread: Associating USB device with generic print driver (Virtual USB printer port)

Associating USB device with generic print driver (Virtual USB printer port)

Hi, i am using Windows Vista since past few months. Today i need an help from you all. Somebody please tell me how can i associate a USB device with a Generic Print driver on a Virtual USB port? When i was using Windows XP i was able to do this by going through the step of connecting the device to the generic driver. But when i try to do the same in Windows Vista it asks me for a driver and wont allow me to as i was doing in XP.

can anyone please tell me how do we do this in Vista? please reply soon.

Re: Associating USB device with generic print driver (Virtual USB printer port)

I have done this on my Vista exactly as we use to do in XP. You just need to open the printer properties As administrator to set the port to the plug and play created USB port. By the way what happens when you create a plug-in device? Does the USB port get created automatically?

Re: Associating USB device with generic print driver (Virtual USB printer port)

Vista won't create a USB-port whithout a driver.
    I needed to setup a Ticket printer -parallel- on a Laptop without parallel port.

Tried USB-parallel adapter. Installed software from EPSON but plug & play failed to match the recognized hardware with the driver: APD ver. 4... from EPSON.

Dead end??? ... not yet.

I told windows Vista NOT TO ASK for a driver on the device.
    This left a no-driver device at "Other devices" group in the device manager, with the printer recongized name.

Voila! There I can start DRIVER Update wizard and configure manually for a Generic Text/Only printer.

I guess I may also have used the EPSON installed driver, but I really don't need but plain ASCII text printing for my tickets.

Fajitas