Thread: Can't safely Eject External Hard Drive

Can't safely Eject External Hard Drive

I have a Seagate external hard drive with me and when ever I try to eject the same hard drive then I get an error message that says:
    Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device. Windows can't stop your 'Generic volume' device because it is in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and then try again later.

When I connect it on some other computer, then it doesnt have same problems. I am running Windows Vista on my computer and any suggestions are welcome.

Can you tell us how do you remove the external drive from your computer? Do you use the "Safely Remove Hardware" option that is given at the right hand side corner of the machine in the bottom? Or you just simply turn off the computer and then remove it?

Re: Can't safely Eject External Hard Drive

Yes, I go to the quick launch area on the task bar and then right click on it and then I simply click on safely remove hard drive. It normally works for all other external media and drives that I use on this same computer but not with this external hard drive. However, as mentioned before, this drive can be ejected fine on different computers.

1. Download a free utility from a third-party Web site at the following address:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilitie...sExplorer.html

2. Click Find, Find Handle or DLL in the tool menu.

• Type the drive letter of the USB device in the Handle or DLL substring textbox, and press Search Button.
    • Find the process and its PID in the following box.
    • In system process tree view, find the process according to the Find Handle or DLL dialog box.
    • Press Ctrl + H to show Handles in Lower Pane View.
    • Find the File according with the drive letter , and right click it, choose Close Handle.

More information can be found over here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555665