Thread: Vista / HP C3100 - Device Reinstall when Reconnected

Vista / HP C3100 - Device Reinstall when Reconnected

I have a laptop which is running on Windows Vista and I have connected a HP C3100 All-in-One printer to it with the help of USB which is the only option left to me. Now, if i disconnect the printer from my laptop for some other work and then come back again and reconnect the printer then the printer again goes with the reinstallation of its software and in the end I get to many entries of this same printer in my device menu. I have researched for different solution such as disabling the plug and play feature of an already installed printer but it didnt work for me. Any ideas what should i do to fix this issue?

Did you make sure that you are using the Safely Remove Hardware button when you disconnect the USB cable? You can see the same thing in the quick launch area which will be a small icon on the Task Bar which a green checkmark or so. If you choose this option then you wont get the reinstalling thing again. It might be also that you have not followed a proper procedure to install the printer drivers on your system. So I would recommend you to first unplug the printer from your computer and then uninstall all the drivers of the printer by going into Add/Remove programs and then restart the computer and follow the instructions to install the printer driver properly.

I think that there is some possibility to click on the "cancel" buttong as soon as it starts to install the printer driver and you get duplicate copy of the printers in the end. Other than this you could also try to do all the uninstall and reinstall procedure again, which would definitely solve the issue. Hope that this helps.