Thread: How to Disable USB Ports for USB Drive

How to Disable USB Ports for USB Drive

I run a training institute. I am using miniATX cabinets which are having two usb ports on the front side. I want to disable them. I had seen people trying to copy data from my system. They can easily infect the system with virus. I do not run any server or domain and there is no network level protection configured. I need some way by which I can manually block them and then enable it back as per needed.

It is possible. For that you have to login in Admin Account. Then right click on My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager. In that go to usb devices. Right click on it and choose Disable. When you disable it, the ports will not read any usb attached to it. The second option is stopping UPnP service. This service allow Windows to detect a usb and install it. If this is stopped then the system will not detect any new hardware. And the last option is to open the system case and disconnect the front port usb connection. It is another safest method because here you do not need to do any changes in the OS. You just need to remvoe a small 5pin connector from the motherboard. The USB Device will not work.