Thread: Unable to safely remove USB external drive

Unable to safely remove USB external drive

This happened not just once but more than 50 times. Whenever I try ejecting my any external USB drive, my Vista system always gives me this error:

“Windows can't stop your Generic volume device because it is in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device and then try again later.”

Am sure that this no program running from the Pen drive. Even if I terminate all processes from the Task manager, still it gives me the same error. The only thing I suspect is the one care program that use to be running in the background and it used this drive for backup. Is it creating this problem ? Is there anyone I can find out exactly which program is creating the problem for me ?

Re: Unable to safely remove USB external drive

I have faced this problem but in my case the cause was very irritating. It was Internet Explorer. Whenever an explorer was open, I was just unable to safely remove my pendrives. Just for a test, try closing all opened windows and try ejecting the drive. See if you get the same problem.

Also as you said One Care use this drive for backing up why don’t you try exiting OneCare as well and see if you get the above mentioned error again while removing the drives.

Thanks for your useful reply Janos. That’s exactly what creating problem with me also. As you said, I tried closing Internet explorer as well and I was able to Safely remove my drive this time. And when I left it open, I again get the same message. Later for more research I opened IE with Add-ons disabled and this time I was able to remove my pendrive even without exiting IE.

That means there is some IE Add-on that uses my pen-drive always. Anyways, instead of finding out the Add-on ans wasting time, it is better to close IE and remove the drive. Thank you again.

Glad it worked out for you. Thanks for posting back.