Thread: Windows Vista does not recognized newly installed 250GB Hard disk

Windows Vista does not recognized newly installed 250GB Hard disk

I am using a Vista system. I am having a IDE hard drive in my system which is almost full. To add more I inserted a additional 250GB Sata drive. It is installed and connected well. I can see the same in BIOS. But when I open My Computer there is no additional drive available. I checked the drive cable and verified everything. So it does not look the issue lies with the drive. Does Vista need some kind of driver of accessing Sata drive. I am bit confused about this. Thanks.

No there is no need to find or locate any driver for hard drives. They are work on a universal interface which is almost detected by all OS. Do this, right click on My Computer > Manage. Then click on Disk Management. In that see that you can find the new drive. Right click on that and click on New volume. You can divide that into multiple partition or simply create a single one as per your choice. It is not been shown in My Computer because you had not formatted the same properly in readable format. Formatting might fix the problem.

Once the drive is detected in Device Manager then there is no need to worry about the driver. It works properly and you do not require to check the connectivity also. Just format it as mentioned above. I had faced the issue when I was trying to connect my new external drive in Vista. It worked only when it was properly formatted.