Thread: Dell Dimension Video Drivers

Dell Dimension Video Drivers

I have an pretty old dell dimension 2400 that was given to by my cousin. It was running on Windows XP which i wanted to dual boot to Windows 7. I have the original copy of Windows 7 dvd with me along with the serial key. I installed the new OS properly but to my surprise, i cant find a display driver for this dell machine which is an intel 845 G/GL REV A08-00. I wonder why microsoft has not released any drivers for this machine? Now everything lags on windows 7. Can anyone tell me whether a display driver is available for download that can work in this new OS or not?

Re: Dell Dimension Video Drivers

I dont think hat dell or intel has released any windows 7 supported drivers for your dell dimension 2400 since it is a very old machine that works with windows xp. But in any case, if you have a pcie slot or a graphics card slot on the motherboard then you could try and install a Windows 7 supported graphics card and driver for it will be available from the graphics manufacturer's website for sure. This way you can rule out the onboard graphics by disabling it and then enable the external video card and use it with your new OS.

Well, there is no pcie slot on the mobo but here is this PCI slot. And I wonder if there are any windows 7 supported PCI slot graphics card available in the market or not. I will try out by asking my local computer dealer whether they have any such hardwares or not. And in the meanwhile, it will be appreciated if you can also suggest or find me a PCI slot graphics card that can work with Windows 7. Thank you

I dont want to be rude here, but no matter what you do, even by installing a PCI graphics card you will get terrible resolutions and display since this cards perform really bad. There are some modded drivers but it is still not in a criteria whether it will work fine or not. So it will be good if you just jump back to Windows xp and use the onboard graphics of the mobo which wont cause you so much trouble I guess. This dell machine not at all capable of running Windows 7.

i got the display drivers working, do u have the display come up with very low resolution or is there no display?