Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller (Code 12)

Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller (Code 12)

As you can figure out from my title what issue I am facing. I am having some problem with USB devices in Vista. In Device Manager I can find a number of different drivers listed which are not properly installed. The one is OpenHCD USB controller. It gives some code 12 error. I checked the status and found the following - This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. What does this error means. I perform regular Windows Updates. But still this kind of things remains pending.

Just uninstall those and and restart your system. If you get any popup of new hardware found then simply set the installation on automatic mode. That is the best way to get them fixed. There can be some drivers which are not compatible with Vista and due to which you are getting this error. And if everything is working fine then you can ignore them. With appropriate updates they will be installed properly. Just check that you had not connected anything additional to your system. Like a usb hub or a card reader type thing.

hey guys
    same problem here ! i was working on my thesis and the next day cant use the external mouse ! (after the stupid MS vista update)

so having a lot of trouble getting my way around the touchpad thing ,

anyway i came across another website and someone wrote ......

"Netman66:
    You may need to manually assign the USB resources from within Device Manager.

Either it's an IRQ problem or an IO problem.

We have this a lot on certain Dell laptops - because they weren't designed for Vista or XP, only Windows 2000. Resources become a bit of an issue at times.

Figure out where you can assign it resources that are available and set them manually."

i have no clue wats he talking about ... but i tot maybe one of u might know .... pls share if u get lucky

This happens basically after Vista upgrades. I had notice this a number of time. I am trying to re-install some fresh drivers in Vista, but unable to do the same. There are two usb controllers which are marked as yellow. The driver which I am trying to run are not compatible with the same. There is a internal memory card reader in my system and I sure that this problem lies with it.

team MS is winning and team Idiots who buy MS are losing !

wtf !

do their tech support guys even know about this problem or they have been ignoring the flags ?

Hi all

I get the same problem as most everyone does here. One thing to add: i can use a usb flash memory key, as well as my usb printer.

Can't wait to get a fix for this, this touchpad is becoming a pain!

Hey, this is happening to me too! My Logitech G15 and G7 won't work with my PC, even though my Linksys WUSB-54g-v2 and WD MyBook both work fine.

I'm probably going to try a complete reformat and reinstall of Vista, avoiding KB941229, and see if that restores functionality.

Cheer up mates - despite their bungling at least MS didn't actually fry our USB ports - it just gave them IRQ conflicts with ... well, what?

I can't free up the 'resources' that it needs because even when I disable / uninstall other devices in the name IRQ neighborhood it does nothing to get SOHUHC working.

Anyone else made any progress? I just checked Windows Update and there's still no real fix from Microsoft.

Wait, you're getting a Code 12 on your PCI IDE Controller? When did your error start?

Well, aside from the other update Microsoft made which is supposed to 'fix certain USB device issues within Vista' and did nothing, no, no updates.

I'm considering doing a reformat and reinstall, but I just got UT3 and would rather be playing that with my own mouse and keyboard rather than borrowing my housemate's.

Has anyone's problem been fixed by MS's update? I'm still using a PS/2 keyboard and mouse, so I'm just as fried as the rest of you, but I was wondering if anyone did get their USB functional again

Nothing yet TwoBitMatt. Boy I wish I has a ps/2 port to plug a mouse, but this is a laptop. Universal Serial But...

What is that usb update you are speaking of? Can you please link that one?

Thanks

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941600

It doesn't say anything about fixing the code 12 bug, and it hasn't, but see if that helps you at all...

Thanks for the update, but I've tried that already and I get a message saying that it does not apply to my system. Got the correct 32 bit one too.

This is bad because this problem does not seem to affect that many users, which means it might take forever to get a patch.

partial solution

hey guys i found this reply on the following website

http://72.14.235.104/search?q=cache:...lnk&cd=7&gl=my

"Netman66:
    Open the properties of the device with the exclamation point on it in device manager.
    On the Resources tab you can uncheck the box for use automatic settings the select the Change settings button.

Assign it an IRQ and IO that isn't in conflict. Use caution with the IO - you need to figure out what it wants to use on a machine running a downlevel OS that doesn't have the issue.

11.17.2007 at 01:02AM PST, ID: 20303762
    "
    so i tried to follow wat he said .... but i dont get the option of "automatic settings"

any tips ?

Elliott Guest

Re: Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller (Code 12)

Sounds like Windows 98 or XP.

My suggestion is that we submit the additional information to MS.

Also, we can list what we have on our systems and see if there is something
    in common. We can all post the first page of System Information as a start.

Here's mine:

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Business
    Version 6.0.6000 Build 6000
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name SERVER
    System Manufacturer GBT___
    System Model NVDAACPI
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+, 2400 Mhz, 2
    Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F4, 12/28/2006
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6000.16386"
    User Name Server\elwoodpc
    Time Zone Central Standard Time
    Total Physical Memory 2,046.94 MB
    Available Physical Memory 1.03 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 4.21 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 2.99 GB
    Page File Space 2.29 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

As additional information, MB is SLI-5 Gigabyte with Nvidia Chipset and
    running EV3A GeForce 7900 video card. Nvidia & Gigabyte SATA running Raid 5.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast