Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Vista Hardware Devices
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

6to4 adapter

Vista Hardware Devices

Old 03-09-2007

6to4 adapter

When I went into Device Manager I saw something that was listed with the term "6TO4 adapter", can anyone tell me what is it exactly? When ever I click on it then it simply throws an error which says "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)". Is there any solution for this issue?

Old 11-09-2008

I have found out that it is just a part of the networking software that deals with the IPv6 protocol. You might need to download the latest driver for your nic. And this IPv6 cannot be uninstalled in Vista. But still it can be disabled by following the below steps:
Go to the Connections and Adapters folder and note down the properties of all your connections and adapters and clear the check box which will be next to the Internet Protocol version 6 (TCP/IPv6) in the list which will be under "This connection uses the following items". The IPv6 will be now disabled on your lan and connections interfaces but it will not be disabled on tunnel interfaces or loopback interface. So you need to add the below registry value (DWORD type) set to 0xFF:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters\DisabledComponents

It will then disable the IPv6 on all your LAN interfaces and everything. After that restart the computer to let it take the effect.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Vista Hardware Devices
Tags: , ,