Thread: Bluetooth missing from Device Manager in Windows Vista

Bluetooth missing from Device Manager in Windows Vista

I am having a new Dell system. It came with pre-installed Windows Vista on it. I am having a bluetooth keyboard. I had purchased this with the laptop. Somehow I am facing a bit issue with compatibility here. The bluetooth is not detected in Vista. I checked in Device Manager and there is nothing listed. There is a light on the bluetooth dongle. There is a bluetooth icon on the system tray where I can see the listed devices. So in short there is a available Vista drivers. But yet it is not able to recognize the same. Thanks.

Do this. Go in Device Manager and remove all the existing bluetooth devices. Connect the dongle and restart your system. This time the setup will be from scratch. Ensure that the device is turned and if possible hook it on some other port. The configuration manager is just for locating new devices. It uses the driver to identify any new device connected. Check that you have found any kind of driver disc that you get with the keyboard mouse.

The issue lies straight with your bluetooth device. That is the reason you are not able to access it. I was having a old wireless keyboard. I tried number of driver setup, uninstallation, bluetooth software, etc. But it did not worked. Later I found that the connector, the usb dongle is bad. As it was old I cannot go for the replacement. You can try testing that on different computers. But if that does not work then there is a hardware failure in your system.

I bought a new third party usb adapter. I found the issue with the existing that I have. There are chances that Vista might be not able to locate proper drivers. You can check Windows Update for that. But as you said that it is not getting detected. So there can be some kind of hardware failure also.