Thread: A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

I am getting a error on my system. I am not able to locate any kind of help for the same. This problem occurred on Windows Vista 32bit. Somehow the system freezes while playing game. It is quiet irritating now. The gpu that I had in my system is MSI x1950 pro. This issue started appearing when I performed Windows Update. I checked in Event Viewer and found some hardware error. There are some files which are mentioned as cause of error. They are altmixer.ini, mixer.ini, smax4pnp.exe, smwdmif.dll, aeadiapo.dll, aeadiext.dll, smaxco.dll and adihdaud.sys. I am using a Asus P2B motherboard. I hope there would be some working suggestion for the same. Thanks.
    Last edited by Rookie27; 20-07-2007 at 02:57 AM.

RE: A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working

It looks like there is some corrupt driver file your system which is causing the issue. You can try updating your drivers first and then look for other issue. It will not be proper to replace all those files which are mentioned by you. I am using a Nvidia gpu in my system. I face the same kind of problem after Windows Update. I downloaded fresh drivers and it was solved. For you I will advice you to first un-install the old drivers and then go with fresh updates back again.

Thanks for the answer. But I do not think driver update can help me here. I tried to find some latest updates. I was able to locate a unsigned driver. But Vista failed to install them. Later on I found some .exe files in Windows startup. They were smax4pnp.exe and JMinsIDE.exe. I had not seen this before. I had also downloaded and installed the most recent video drivers. But nothing helped much.
    Last edited by Rookie27; 20-07-2007 at 02:00 PM.

Re: A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

I can help you but for that I need a bit more detail on your system. Like what is the complete model of gpu you are using. What is the driver version you installed recently and at what resolution you are having on your system. Also if possible try to provide a bit detail on the unsigned drivers also that you are talking.

I am using MSI Rx1950 Pro 512mb gpu. I have a Vista system and the last Catalyst edition that I had installed was 07.7. I cannot find anything above that. I was using Windows XP before on the same system. The maximum resolution that I am getting rightnow is 1280x1024. I think I am using the most recent drivers. So this kind of issue must not appear. The system just freezes on boot. I am fed up with all the settings and configuration.
    Last edited by Rookie27; 20-07-2007 at 04:15 PM.

Re: A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop work

It is better if you start the process from scratch and this time begin with cleaning your system. First get rid of all things that are not needed. And what about those unsigned drivers you were talking. You must not use any unsigned drivers. Because that can generate more compatibility errors. If there are multiple drivers in your system then it can make your system more unstable. Go Control Panel and remove all the old stuff that you are having. Use a simple registry cleaner to wipe unwanted registry entries and then run the setup back.

I did what you said. I wasted quiet a long time in that. I hope there would be some way to deal with the problem. Now I get a new error on my screen. It is related to .net framework. I did nothing but still the error appeared. When the error appeared I ignored it and after sometime the system just turned off.

Re: A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

It is better if you contact the vendor for warranty. I think there is some major hardware fault in your system due to which you are getting those problem. It was ok till video driver crash, but now the same keeps on increasing. Remove your graphic card and test vista for somewhile. Then check back.

After going through some work around and a friends help I got some solutions. It looks the issue lies with some graphic settings i Catalyst control center. Does making any changes there can help me. The resolution might be crashing. I just need the drivers. I can avoid using Catalyst.

This is a plain issue with the hardware. Did you tested your system by removing it and then checking whether your system crash or not. I was having a old 128MB gpu in my system. It was also having Vista in the same. It was crashing due to poor drive. I removed it and the system went fine. The card is almost 8months old now. I am going to use that on XP.

This wasn't what I was looking for. I don't blame anyone in fact I don't give a **** but what I KNOW is that there's a lot of people having same kind of problems than me all you need to use google and we all know how this goes let say 5000 disapointed customers is a drop in the sea if ATI doesn't get it right in half year it doesnt get right at all that's what I think. I don't blame my graphic card all I want is new graphic card what works with current drivers and I was hopinh that somebody knows here better than me.