Thread: My Optical Drive (CD, DVD Rom) doesn't work.

My Optical Drive (CD, DVD Rom) doesn't work.

I have Windows Vista installed on my computer and am having a TSSTcorp CD / DVD TS-L462D writer with me. All of a sudden this optical drive has disappeared from my computer lists. I have already tried to reinstall the drivers for this drive but nothing seems to be working. When i click on the drive then the error message that I am getting is "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39) This is the error syntax". Any ideas?

Re: My Optical Drive (CD, DVD Rom) doesn't work.

Try to delete the upper filters and lower filters in registry editor and see if that helps:
    1. Click Start button and then type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.
    2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    3. If you see UpperFilters in the pane on the right side, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
    4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.
    5. If you see LowerFilters in the pane on the right side, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
    6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.
    7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

More information can be found here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

Re: My Optical Drive (CD, DVD Rom) doesn't work.

I tried your solution but there are no Upper filters or lower filters that i can find in the registry editor? I have also tried a Lite-on and a Sony internal CD-ROM which is also not working on my computer. Also if i uninstall the device and then let Vista reinstall the device again, still it will not work. I have checked at the manufacturer's website and they dont have any updated drivers for this drive. What should i do now?

Can you check if you have any version of Roxio or Nero installed on your computer? The error code 39 that you are getting can be also caused because of this software, so try uninstalling them. And there are different burning software that you can use which works pretty well under Windows Vista. You could either try the Imgburn burning software or the Deepburner software which is compatible under this operating system.