Thread: Error message display driver igfx stopped responding

Error message display driver igfx stopped responding

I have installed World of Warcraft on my Vista machine recently. Whenever i try to play it, the game will start normally, i will start a mission and then suddenly it will just hang and I have to press ctlr+f4 to exit this game, but upon coming onto to vista desktop i will get an pop up with an error message saying that "display driver igfx stopped responding"? I dont know what is this problem, help required.

RE: Error message display driver igfx stopped responding

First of all you need to tell us what kind of computer specifications do you have? The error that you are getting is related to either the onboard graphics which is not supported or outdated. Incase you have an external graphics card then have you tried installing the latest driver for it on your machine? If you havent then try it first and then reinstall the game as well and try to play it. Prior to all this things, please compare the minimum system requirements given below to play World of Warcraft game with your system specs:

• Windows XP/XP 64 bit/Vista/Vista 64 bit
    • Intel Pentium 4 1.3 GHz or AMD Athlon XP 1500+
    • 512 MB or more of RAM (Vista requires 1024 MB or more of RAM)
    • ATI Radeon 7200 or NVIDIA GeForce 2 class card or better
    • DirectX® 9.0c (included) and latest video drivers
    • 5.0 GB available HD space
    • 4 x CD-ROM drive
    • Broadband Internet connection
    • For voice chat, an SSE enabled CPU is required.

Yes it sure seems to be a problem with the graphics driver, so try to follow the below method to rectify your issue:

• First of, go to device manager and check for available updates for you Graphic Media Accelerator.
    • If you have found any graphics update then uninstall the previous driver properly (ie via the control panel) of Intel Graphic Media Accelerator.
    • Restart the PC as indicated at the end of the uninstallation.
    • Download the new driver for your graphics, whether it is onboard or external, it will be none other than either Intel or AMD or Nvidia.

For HP or Compaq laptop, this error is related to Intel graphics systems, and it happens when the system memory is low (when doing graphics intensive work, such as video gaming and video editing).

The following actions can help reduce or eliminate this type of error:
    • Open your web browser and go to the HP website to download drivers and software from this link. Select your language and country/region.
    • Enter the model number of your HP or Compaq in the field provided.
    • Select the operating system (Windows Vista) if requested.
    • Select the graphics driver update for Intel Express chipset and follow the instructions to download and install the appropriate driver for your machine.
    • If the error occurs only when using a specific software, update the software. Use a software update tool itself, or visit the manufacturer's support site to download and install critical updates.
    • Increase the overall performance of your computer. There are several things you can do to improve the performance of your computer. One is to increase the memory.
    • Disable the onboard video in the BIOS and install a video card.

Re: Error message display driver igfx stopped responding

I have been suffering this problem when attempting to play The Sims 3.

I have tried both of these quoted steps:

But there are never any reports.

After doing this nothing is listed.

My PC is a Dell Inspiron 545
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz 2.33GHz
    4.00 GB RAM
    32-bit Operating System

And my graphics card is:
    Generic PnP Monitor on Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family

I have been searching on the internet for several days without any luck, the troubleshooting section of the game booklet offers nothing useful, and I have spoken with the techguys at PC world who say they don't know what could be causing it.

If anyone can offer me any advice I would be extremely grateful.

My drivers are up to date and I still get the black screen but no error message then a blue screen the my computer shuts off it only happens when I try to play wow

This may seem simple and i'm willing to be incorrect here however, have you checked your screens refresh rate on your computer? I play WOW and have the same thing happen. Through all the checking i've discovered it may
    be just that.

I am having the same problem except i can play WOW but when i play the sims3 i get a black screen with error message I have a sony Vaio laptop that i just bought in june. Not sure of the graphics card but i play WOW with most items set on medium

Quote Originally Posted by ldenne View Post
    I am having the same problem except i can play WOW but when i play the sims3 i get a black screen with error message I have a sony Vaio laptop that i just bought in june. Not sure of the graphics card but i play WOW with most items set on medium
    Could you tell us what kind of error message you are getting? It could be that the sony laptop that you have isnt sufficient enough to run the game properly and hence it might be crashing to desktop. Another thing is, have you tried to update the graphics driver of your laptop to the latest and checked if that is working or not.
    Searching the forums can help you to find your answers more quickly