Thread: Realtek High Definition Audio Problem

Realtek High Definition Audio Problem

Since last few days my pc used to hang a lot very often, keyboard and wireless mouse used to stuck, and hence a restart was required everytime to fix this issue. Annoyed with this problem I did a backup of the data on an external drive and reinstalled my vista after formatting all the drives. But after reinstallation, I can not configure the sound device which is a Realtek High Definition Audio. I tried installing the drivers from the supplied cd/dvd but it was giving me some error. Has anyone face this problem and found a solution?

Follow the below method and see if that helps you out:

1. First of all install the Realtek drivers from the cd/dvd that is supplied in the motherboard box package (try to install even if the installation does not finish or gives an error).
    2. After that download Ccleaner, install and start it.
    3. Then click on Tools> uninstall programs and then uninstall a program called "High Definition Audio Driver Package KB888111".
    4. After that restart the pc
    5. Now, again install the Realtek audio drivers from installation cd.
    6. Restart pc and see if this time the audio works fine or not.

If that doesnt work then before making an attempt to reinstall Realtek High Definition Audio it is advisable to uninstall any existing version that you want to replace. The uninstall must be done in Safe Mode, otherwise it may be incomplete or even be rejected by Windows. The installation file or the drivers for the Realtek audio can be downloaded from here. Just choose your operating system accordingly and install it. Hope this will help you out.

Re: Realtek High Definition Audio Problem

I agree, one of the main reasons for a high definition audio not working involves the OS. When it was first installed, the device driver might not have been part of the package.

In certain OS like Windows 7 or in your case Vista, there are 3 potential ways you can fix it.

- try updating the hda driver using the CD/dvd installer that came with it

- if you don't have it, then try searching for it on the manufacturer's website. In your case, there's the Realtek website.

- and lastly, you can ask windows itself to search for any update for the device by ticking "Keep your computer up-to-date with Windows Update" on the "help and support" link. Just follow the directions on your screen, and it will automatically do the task for you. Not only it will show available updates for your driver, but for other devices installed.

Re: Realtek High Definition Audio Problem

Pay attention to this mans post. No matter how you go about resolving your issue it will involve the process that he has put here. Good luck and good job Jim Corbett. This solution was 9 months in the making for me...thank god I found it but my sound immediately came on following these steps.