Thread: Sound problems with the line in for vista (sigmatel)

Sound problems with the line in for vista (sigmatel)

I have a pc which i have upgraded to Windows Vista just 2 days back. After the installation the line in for the sound is not working at all in this system. There is no volume mixer to mute or do anything? It only shows speakers or headphones when i right click on it and select playback and there is no line visible. When I choose the recording tab then I am able to see the microphone which is in working condition and under it I can see the line in but it shows that it is "currently unavailable" and not checked. The driver that i am using is of Sigmatel that i downloaded through the Dell website. Can anyone help me out with this problem.

Well, I am using a RealTek sound driver on my machine and it also has the same options that you have listed so far. But the only thing that I suppose that is done with it on my machine is that it is set as default, so can you try to do the same even if it is enabled? Have you tried to increase the volume level and then tried to unmute in the Playback settings. Actually, I did the same on my system and then I was able to get the audio to play via the different speakers that I have from the Inline or mic in.

Even I was having same issues with the sound on my machine and what i did was I edited the registry to enable the LineInputMonitoring to solve this problem. Other things that you can do is try to reinstall the sigmatel driver from the dell support site in your vista operating system. And when you will connect the cable of the speaker in the line in jack then a window will pop-up asking you to how to use the jack, whether as line in or mic. Hope that this helps you out.

If you want to enable the line-in monitoring then follow the below steps:
    • First of all right click speaker icon in tray.
    • After that you have to left click playback devices.
    • After that left click speakers.
    • Then you have to left click properties.
    • After that you need to left click levels tab.
    • Here you will have to scroll down to "rear blue" and adjust. Thats it

Re: Sound problems with the line in for vista (sigmatel)

Try the below fix and see if it helps:

Before you start anything, double click on a music file to start it and then raise your volumes up and up!!!! Test if sound is coming out of your speakers!! (If not, your speaker is a problem). Download Virtual Audio Cable (search google or something - it is not a freeware - but try it). Install Virtual Audio Cable (VAC) on your computer. (When installing ---- Vista -> Popup named like "do you want to install this driver?" (red letters) pops out -> click ok or something, you NEED to install the driver). Then go to the Taskbar -> Go to the playback devices (right-click the speaker icon) - Select the 'Playback' tab. There will be a new option named 'Line 1' or 'VAC 1' or SOMETHING that is similar like this. Make that 'Line 1' Default. (There is a button named 'Set Default' below the window.) Close all programs (specially programs that have sound - itunes, realplayer, windows media player) Then, run the program Audio Repeater (Included in the VAC that you installed- search the start->all programs or the search program files in CSmile. Set 'Wave in' to 'Line 1'. Set 'Wave out' to "SPEAKER" (or your computer's original default selection - mine is Vaio VGN-CR220E and it is named 'Speaker/HP', so select this). After this, click 'Start' tab below. Then, turn on any music (ex: an mp3 file- a long one should be good so you can test on it) on your computer. You should hear the sound from your speaker.

NOW, If you want to record this mp3 stream, just follow the bottom part. You will see 'Line 1' on the recording tab. (Go to sound manager (right-click the speaker icon on your taskbar-> recording devices) -> 'Recording' tab -> make 'Line 1' Default)

Run Audacity (or any recording programs)

Run Audacity -> Edit -> Preferences -> Audio I/O tab -> See 'Recording' and make 'device' into 'Line 1'

Enjoy Recording computer's stereo!

p.s

Here is the problem -> you have to make Audio Repeater to the above settings every time you reboot, so

use it only when you need it! (So, : After Recording stereo from computer, change back to the normal notebook's settings)