Thread: Install Windows XP on extenral hard drive from Sony Vaio VGN-N250

Install Windows XP on extenral hard drive from Sony Vaio VGN-N250

I got Vista on my Sony Vaio VGN-N250 laptop. This came pre-installed. I am having a external usb hard drive. I do not want to modify any internal partition of Vista. I want to install Windows XP on that external drive. I had never did this before. I need some steps of guide which can provide me clear steps in installing XP on it. I just want to keep this as secondary boot option so that I can use it for some older applications.

It is only possible to install Windows XP on a external media if your drive is detected in the BIOS. Go in BIOS and check that you can find any usb hdd. You can find that in the boot sequence. If it is then directly choose that format it and install Windows on it. Remember not to disconnect the drive. Or Windows XP might not boot. You can use a Windows installation disc for the same. Instead of using XP you can go with much stable edition of Linux. There are tons of version available. It is going to work in more better way.

It is easy, but it is right that you must not disconnect the usb. It will make your system unstable. There is another way of using XP on your external drive. You can try using a Live Edition of XP. There are many live disc that you can transfer it to the usb drive and then manage to use old applications. If you face any kind of errors in your system then ensure that you have the right usb drivers. Because a number of time this type of setup crashes due to improper drivers.