Thread: Vista Generic USB storage devices not recognised

Vista Generic USB storage devices not recognised

I have got a couple of flash drives and external drives that used to work on Windows XP but after installing Vista, these drives are not recognized by the new operating system. Since there are no manufacturer's who have released the vista version of the driver, hence it is impossible to get these drives to work in it. Can anybody tell me how to get this things to work?

I was also facing a similar issue and what i did was, I just pointed Vista to install all the drivers to C:\Windows and just let it do what it wants, eventually the drivers were getting installed. You could also try to install the drivers in the location C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore and see if it works. Normally, all the drivers are cleary present in this same folder but vista doesnt seem to recognize them at all.

I also had the same problem, when ever i used to connect any external storage device, vista would just refuse to recognise it. Then i read somewhere that this problem could be related to other drivers which might be conflicting. I went into control panel and then removed the Netgear SC101 and in this very first move Vista started recongnizing the external drives effectively. Hope that this would help someone.

If anyone of you have driverguide tookit installed on your machine then remove it and then search for the driver from c:/windows directory, it will definitely work. Also check for a path called C:\windows\inf\INFCACHE.1, if it is corrupted then delete it. But for that you have to edit its file permissions to get full control over the file for the user group, and then only you will be able to delete this file. Another solution would be to uinstall windows care v2 which blocks connections and other things.

Re: Vista Generic USB storage devices not recognised

I tried your idea but still my problem does not solve. it says that " windows found driver for your device but encountered an error when attempting to install it." The system can not find the specified. How can I solve this problem? pls help me