Thread: New hard drive shows up in device manager but not in windows explorer

New hard drive shows up in device manager but not in windows explorer

My Vista system is not detecting new hard disk. I had connected a additional sata drive. The older one is working fine. I checked in Device Manager and found 2 hard drive installed. But there is nothing in My Computer. Does there is some kind of driver problem with the hard drive. The most I know this are mostly kind of plug and play drives. There is no need to find proper drivers. What should I do know to make this thing work on my system.

The drive is not detected because it is not formatted. You do not need any driver for that. Just right click on My Computer > Manage. Go in Disk Management. You can see a raw partition there. Right click on that and choose New Volume. You can create more than 1 partition or multiple partitions as per your need. Once it is formatted properly in ntfs you can be able to access the same. If the drive is not detected in Disk Management then check the power cable. It might be getting no power.

Check once in BIOS. Go in the main screen where you can find the two drives listed. There is no need to look for any specific drivers for a hard drive. It is correct that the drive will not show up until it is not completely formatted. If even after formatting it through Disk Management you are not able to access it you must contact your vendor for replacement.