Thread: Which is best for ReadyBoost - USB or SSD

Which is best for ReadyBoost - USB or SSD

I want some information on which device here is best for ReadyBoost. A USB drive or SSD. I want to add some more performance to my system and waiting to buy a external storage. I am having two options. I can go for USB or simply for SSD. I think going for SSD will be a much better kind of option. I was using a SD card before that and it failed work after few months. So I can hope that a usb or ssd will give much better output compared to any other device.

I will not recommend you to invest on SSD just for readyboost. You can get a reasonable output only. There is no way you can gain much better speed on the same. ReadyBoost is just like a page file stuff. But the part which it occupies on the usb drive is un-usable. You cannot copy data on that. It remains block to some extent. Go for a 4GB usb. That would be much better and reasonable. And if you need a better performance it will be good to add more ram.

re: Which is best for ReadyBoost - USB or SSD

I am using the same. It gives out some basic support only. It just does not make your computer work like some super computer. It is very basic. You can expect to have around 1 to 2GB of more ram. That's all. Readyboost is a cheaper way of getting more memory in your system in virtual mode. But it is not effective. SSD are good for durability and data transfer rate. It gives you smoother data movement and much more reliable.

some thoughts

Hi All,

I'm considering buying a 8gb readyboost flashdrive AND/OR a Samsung HM16HJI MH80 SATA Series Hybrid HDD, FlashON hard drive which has 256 mb of flash memory on board.

Would it be useful to have both since it's both using flash cache?

Which one of them would give the highest speed increase?

Thanks and greets!

re: Which is best for ReadyBoost - USB or SSD

I added around 4GB of RAM and kept my 2GB usb for readyboost. I had verified the system performance. There was much less gain but it is quiet proper. I just need this much memory while playing games. So when I load any game, I stop all the background applications. It is necessary that you get rid of those applications which are not required. It will give you a bit performance boost.