Thread: USB memory stick not detected in Windows Vista

USB memory stick not detected in Windows Vista

After Windows Upgrade from XP to Vista, my memory card is not working. I use this always to copy songs. I have a small card reader which is detected automatically in Vista. There is no need of any driver or additional software. After upgrade when I had connected it to my system it fails to detect it. I tried to use to number of different ports but nothing worked. I hope there is some option available that can allow me to use it on Vista.

Missing usb drivers is common bug in Vista. There is a Vista usb package available on web. You can download and update it. It is not related to new drivers, but it is related to some old drivers which Vista does not has. I got the same issue on my digicam. It has a SD card that usually I use to backup my photos. Something happened after installing Vista. It remain undetected. And Vista does not accept XP drivers. But somehow it worked.

Just get updated plug and play drivers. I think you can find that through Windows Update. If it is not working then better ignore the card reader. There are some new drivers in Vista which are not compatible with older hardware. That is the reason you can find a number of hardware failed to install in Vista. While Windows XP is much stable and better.

Breath of fresh air (so to speak)

You people are awesome!
    I read through the message threads regarding the drivers required to make external USB storage devices work on W/Vista Home Premium. The only one that I found to be missing in the system32 and system32\drivers folders was the file C:\Windows\inf\usbstor.inf.

Once I copied that into the vista computer, the Flash Drive, External HDD, mp3 player and memory card reader all worked, and quite quickly!

I am a happy man now.
    Keep posting this stuff, it is really helpful to people like me who know next to nothing about the back end of windows (it's not that pretty:)

Cheers