Thread: Microphone not working

Microphone not working

I have bought a new Microphone from an online store called staples and the name of this mic is called Labtec. I have dual booted my system with Windows XP and Vista and, particularly this mic works pretty fine on XP OS. But when I try to use it on Vista, it doesnt work, vista doesnt seems to recognize this microphone. So I was wondering whether this mic is supported by Vista or not. Thanks for any suggestions.

Can you try to right click on the Speaker Icon in the quick launch area on taskbar and then open up Recording Devices and then check that the Microphone input of the Audio Adapter is kept as default and none other. Also, did you try to find out whether there is an updated driver for the sound card from its manufacturer's website. If they have the driver then download it and first uninstall the previous old drivers for the sound card in your pc and then install the latest one, which should be compatible with Vista.

I have also got this problem with my gaming headset which used to work fine in Windows XP. But after upgrading to Vista, when ever I connect this headset then vista is unable to find it and I am not able to record anything. Only first time when i connected this headset it started working, since then I choose an option called "Dont ask me second time to connect new sound devices", I started getting this kind of problems. I have already checked for the latest drivers that are already installed in my pc.

Re: Microphone not working

Ok EVERYONE I HAVE FOUND A SOLUTION!!!
    After a good year or so of not having a microphone and being upset I can't talk in vent, I have found a solution and am nice enough to post it. For the records I'm running a Dell XPS 420, upgraded to windows 7.
    The solution:
    Go to the dell website > Enter in your Service tag for the support and drivers download > download the (32 or 64 bit depending on what you're running) chip set driver > install it > restart computer > go back to the dell site > download your sound driver > install it > restart > BAM YOUR MIC SHOULD NOW SHOW UP!!! Your very welcome everyone. I'm a happy person now. I was angry without my mic.

Re: Microphone not working

i read your solutions and discovered another way on my dell studio 17.
    There is a separate audio control called IDT audio control panel.
    If you have this or something similar, make sure the default device is the MIC input AND you click the multifunction input selector under the heading "jacks" and choose Microphone.
    In the IDT setup its to the right of the Recording page and mimics the input jack panel. It now works.
    Hope this helps.