Thread: Unknown USB Device

Unknown USB Device

I am having Windows Vista on my computer and it is not able to recognize some of the Usb devices that I have. I have got myself different USB memory sticks as well as a Sandisk Sansa e260 media player which is set to behave as a memory storage not working. The error that i am getting is the Unknown USB Device found. When I asked Sandisk about this issue then they told me that there are 2 missing files in my computer - usbstore.inf and usbstore.sys. I have searched for this files online and couldnt find any info about same, any ideas where can i get them?

You can try to download the Windows Vista (KB925528) update and install it on your pc, which might solve this issue. This is a normally a reliability update. Install this update to resolve reliability issues with some USB hardware devices and controllers. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. You can download this same windows update from here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925528

You should go into Device Manager and then click on the unknown device and then click "Locate and install drivers software (recommended)". After that click on "I dont have the disc show me other options" and then "Browse my computer for driver software (advanced)". After that select the location "C:\Windows" and make sure that the "include subfolders" is tick marked. Hope that this helps.

I agree, in Windows Vista you have to look in the "C:\Windows" folder inorder to install the drivers. The driver usually doesnt install the proper way, so therefore we have to reinstall the driver in this way for the "Unknown Device". After a couple of attempt on my computer, Vista finally realized that it wasnt a generic volume. This was a wonderful suggestion given, thanks alot.