Thread: Vista32, new driver? & USB Mouse/Keyboard not working

Vista32, new driver? & USB Mouse/Keyboard not working

I have a Windows Vista system and keep running my machine on Standby mode since I run backups and scanning overnight. But today in the morning wehn I turned it on, the mouse was not resposive at all. When i tried to use the keyboard even it failed. After doing some research i found that it was a Windows problem. Thinking that it was a USB problem, i tried booting into safe mode but it didnt work either. After that I tried Last Good known Configuration which worked for a while but before trying to restore it loaded new device drivers for USB and when it loaded up, the keyboard and the mouse stopped working once again. Now, I wonder what could be causing these devices not to work, any ideas?

If you are using a PS2 device then you could try to enable the legacy support in the BIOS option, it could be that it might be disabled and hence the mouse and keyboard may not be working. Also try to connect the mouse to different usb port and see the difference? If you are using wireless mouse and keyboard, then did you check whether the batteries are not over? You might also need to look at some automatic updates that might have corrupted the drivers, try uninstalling the last windows update and see if that works. Also, try using the system restore option in vista to a time when these devices were working fine.

Yes, system restore should work in the end if nothing works. One thing I noticed that when there was an automatic update in Vista with KB938371 update, the mouse and keyboard stopped working. After that when I uninstalled it and then did a pc restart, these devices started to work again. So i think it will be good if the updates are put to manual, because if this same update gets installed then we will again face problems. There were also other users who fixed their issue by uninstalling everything under HID section in device manager. Hopefully, untill a hotfix for this update gets released, it is better that we stop the automatic update in our pc's and set it to manual.

I was also facing similar type of problem with the mouse and keyboard but later on when I changed the mouse entry to HID-compliant consumer control device under Human interface, the problem seems to have been fixed. There has been also report about some error in the path called C:\windows\prefetch\agapplaunch.db. So by going into safe mode and right clicking on properties and then tools and then error checking, fix the problem for many users having this problem.