Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Vista Hardware Devices
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Can't start Microsoft WPD Filesystem Volume Driver

Vista Hardware Devices

Old 17-10-2006

Can't start Microsoft WPD Filesystem Volume Driver

When even I open Device Management then I am getting this error message which says that "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". I have Windows Vista running on my computer. Can anyone help me please.

Old 02-05-2007

Even I am facing the same problem. The Microsoft WPD filesystem volume driver gives the same error "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". And I have recently bought my gateway system which is running on Windows Vista. I have already sent a report to the Windows Team since i dont know what to do and I am also not able to hear any sound while using multimedia players. Is there anyone who can help us out. Thanks
Old 31-12-2007

I had the same problem but fixed it!

I had the same problem but I fixed it eventually. All i did was I went into device manager and then uninstalled the device which was giving this error and then restarted my computer. After that when the computer booted till desktop i again went into device manager and then simply reinstalled the same device and everything started to work fine.
Old 26-01-2009

You can try the below solution to fix this problem:
  1. First of all right click computer under the start tab and select manage
  2. After that you have to click on the Device manager tab. You will see the exclamation mark in "WPD FileSystem Volume driver software."
  3. Next you have to click on Disk drives and disable each one until the WPD FileSystem disappears.
  4. Now here you just have to re-enable all the drives then right click the problem drive and select properties.
  5. After that you need to click on the volumes tab then select "populate" then note down what Disk number the populate assigned it.
  6. Now you have to go back to the Computer Management window. On the left side is a folder called Disk Management(under the Storage folder). Select Disk Management.
  7. Here go to the bottom where there is a list of disks. Right click the disk number you populated for the problem drive and select "Change drive letter and paths.."
  8. Now you have to assign the drive letter and go back to the Device Manager and the problem will be solved.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Vista Hardware Devices
Tags: , ,