Thread: Vista Desktop Too Big for LCD TV

Vista Desktop Too Big for LCD TV

I don’t have any query here, just came to share a solution for which I was pulling my hair off from past couple of days. My vista desktop was just too big for Samsung lcd tv, and after lots of research for several weeks, finally I managed to get the proper solution that fixed my problem. If any of you is facing display driver problem for any LCD monitor/tv, than just follow these steps:

Go to Display Settings and click Advanced Settings. This will display a dialog box with all Modes listed. Here you need to select the proper resolution from the drop down menu. In my case, I set 1176 x 664 for my Samsung LCD-TV (720p).

Re: Vista Desktop Too Big for LCD TV

Hello Brandy, let me explain you something. When we connect it via DVI->HDMI cable, our system’s graphics card tries to emulate being connected to a CRT. Since some of the CRT is 'hidden' behind the bezel, it overscans and pushes some of the content off the screen. So, what I want to say is you have just assume that it is proper but actually your LCD’s resolution is 1366x768. I can say that you are just wasting your LCD and resulting in a resolution that is fuzzy compared to native. Instead of doing all these things you just need to you to go advanced settings and correct the overscan to get to your native resolution.

According to me brandy was right because its good if your TV accepts the overscan compensated resolution directly rather than embedding it manually at 1176x664 image within normal 720p output. The end result of either method is exactly the same since the TV upscales the 1176x664 image to 1366x768 and I think this is why there won’t be any difference in "bluriness" between them.

When I was using Windows XP, I was using less resolution than native that results into disappointment because of less less space on the desktop than I was hoping for. Later I remembered I made it 1176 x 664 that worked fine on Windows XP Media Center too for me. Whereas the graphics driver in Vista doesn’t allows me to enter custom resolutions, and 1366 x 768 isn't in the list of predefined resolutions, so there is no way for me to test that unless and until I get a better Nvidia driver. I'm looking forward to 1800p TVs are cheap enough to buy. I guess 1920 x 1080 is an easier resolution to use with Media Center PCs.