Thread: Vista driver for Mustek 1200 UB Plus scanner

Vista driver for Mustek 1200 UB Plus scanner

I have installed Windows Vista on my computer and I am having a Mustek 1200 UB Plus scanner. I am trying to find its driver for this opearting system but none of those are compatible with Vista? I have even checked the official website of Mustek and even they havent listed any drivers till now. Can anybody tell me how do get this scanner to work on my Vista system.

You can try to install the XP driver for the scanner in Windows Vista in compatibility mode. Also, you may have to install the generic scanners.inf file of the author as well in the system. Mustek unfortunately dosent have their list of scanners that are supported on Windows Vista operating system. Maybe in the future they will provide some support for the same.

I have found a way to install the Mustek 1200 CU scanner on Windows Vista OS. For that i simply used the XP driver that i downloaded from the official Mustek website. To install the same driver, you will need to edit the registry in order to make the installed think that you have Windows XP on your machine. So for same, go to start and then in the search bar type regedit and then go to the following key - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version. After that find the product name and then copy all the things that it is saying on a text document on your desktop. Then change the same to make ir read like: Microsoft Windows XP. Then try to start the Mustek XP driver installer of this scanner on youe pc and after the installation is finished then change the registry jey back to saying it as Windows Vista. Now, the scanner will work fine without any issues for you. However, the Vista scanning wizard wont detect the scanner for you. Hope this helps anybody.

Thank you very much for the solution. I never thought that chnaging the product ID temporarily will work. Now the scanner works fine in Windows Vista. I hope that we can use the same method to install windows xp only driver for so many un-supported devices on Windows Vista. This would be great.