Thread: How to rotate display on dual monitor

How to rotate display on dual monitor

I have two monitors configured on my system. I use them for graphic editing work. Now I want some option by which I can rotate screen of both monitors to 90 degree. There are two tools that I can use. The first one is nView and the second one is Pivot Pro. I had tested both of them on Windows XP. They work quiet fine. I am planning to upgrade to Vista and want to know which of them will be working. Is there any other third party software also available for Vista only.

I think nView will work on Vista. You must be having a Nvidia gpu in your system. You can download and run the same. I want to provide a suggestion. If you are willing to install Vista, then try to dual boot your system instead of installing it on Windows XP. Because if there is any bug or error you can simply work on Windows XP. Do not forget to find the drivers first.

No do not rely on nView. It is not going to work on Windows Vista. There is some compatibility bug. I had tested that and tried a number of stuff to rotate my screen. But nothing worked. Instead of that it is recommended that you muse iRotate or any third party software that can allow you to keep those settings.

That right. After adding Vista, my graphic card drivers failed to work. I am not getting additional properties to modify settings of a dual boot system. There is nothing which looks to be working well. For screen rotation there are tons of tools. But what matters is that your gpu or video drivers must be updated and performing well. Or else there will be major fall in the display quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Pavel A. View Post
    Apologies, I've overlooked these replies.
    The screen rotation option is in Control Panel, Tablet PC settings, Display.
    There you can select portrait or landscape mode.
    Today I installed Vista Ultimate retail and also became frustrated when I couldn't put one of my two monitors into portrait mode. My card is an FX5200 and the latest beta from nVidia don't support it. I was therefore very pleased to find your post. But what an odd place to change the orientation! Problem is, changing the orientation was a bad thing to try on my PC.

After selecting portrait mode for one monitor, I clicked Apply. Unfortunately there is no 15 second timer to revert the display if things go pear shaped. After I clicked Apply, both displays went blank apart from a cursor on one. Alt+Ctrl+Del brought back a normal screen (in portrait mode), but I could only log off or shutdown. Even Task Manager wouldn't appear - the displays just went blank again.

My solution was to restart in Safe Mode, go into Device Manager and remove the nVidia driver. After restarting in Normal Mode, I went into Device Manager again, selected the video card and clicked "Update driver". Then I configured the monitor settings again.

I retried changing the orientation with the Tablet applet several times, but each time my displays went blank and I had to repeat my fix. Most annoying and very time consuming. I'll try the rotation utility that's mentioned above, but it's been a long day. Installing Vista took just under half an hour. Reinstalling just some of my apps has taken much longer. As for the peripherals - looks like it will be some months before I'll have all them working. Vista Ultimate was expensive, and now I've got almost $2000 of hardware (scanner, printer, TV card, colorimeter) that no longer works!