Thread: How can I reset external monitor settings?

How can I reset external monitor settings?

Yesterday, for the first time I thought to connect my 46" Samsung TV with my Vista based laptop using high end VGA
    cable and guess what it worked superb with 1280 x 768 resolution in Mirrored Mode and 1920 x 1080 when making it as External Monitor. It was really awesome, but unfortunately I tried to do some more R&D with resolutions and all. After few minutes don’t know which settings I changed and now am just not able to set it at External Monitor only mode.

I tried various things to make it on External Monitor like going through Nvidia Control panel, Windows Mobility Center, tried hitting Fn + F8 key but nothing of them worked for me and the only resolution I’m now able to get is the worst 800x600. The external monitor Options I just grayed out and the display appears on both laptop screen as well as my TV. Have a look this IMAGE.

I’m not able to get the cause of this problem. Can anyone of you help me fixing the same or resetting the settings whatever I changed ? Thanks in advanced.

Re: How can I reset external monitor settings?

Yeah, I checked the image, it really looks weird as the option is just disabled. BTW did you tried switching back to Extended desktop mode from Clone mode for the external display? If yes, what was the outcome and if not, trying doing it and post back here.

Thanks for your reply Mauricio but first of all let me make it clear that I want to set it to just External Display mode, I don’t want to make it at Extended Desktop Mode. And yes, I unclicked "Extend the desktop onto this monitor" for the external display.

Anyways, i’m in office now and I was trying to do some research on this. Meanwhiel I came to know that the settings and other configurations for external monitor are saved in registry at this location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MobilePC\TMM\VidList. I guess deleting this key made enable that option again. Will try it when I reach home back and reply you with the results.

Thanks anyway.

According to my instead of Clone mode you need to use Extended Desktop Mode in order to use different resolution on your Samsung TV as secondary display. And I think it is very simple to do as you just need to drag and drop the running application icons on the secondary monitor. In case your secondary monitor is not able to accept the resolution which was used on the laptop’s display with the interface you are using than you wont be able to see anything in the Clone Mode.