Thread: Vista laptop does not recognize attached NAS drive

Vista laptop does not recognize attached NAS drive

I am having a Vista laptop. It belongs to some hp brand. Now there is a problem with NAS setup here. I am unable to work on the same. I am having 2 more pc on the network which are connected to the nas drive and all data from my pc whatever files created or saved goes in the NAS. But when I try to configure the same on my laptop I am facing problem. First of all there is some issue with the lan. The connection does not remain stable here. Sometime due to driver issue also this kind of issue appear.

Re: Vista laptop does not recognize attached NAS drive

Try to update the lan drivers and then check back. I am sure that will fix the issue. Go in Device Manager and then right click on the lan adapter. Right click on the same and then choose update drivers. That will be more than enough to fix the problem. You can try running a driver setup that will be quiet enough to fix the issue.

There can be some kind of hardware problem in your system due to which you are getting problem. Updating drivers might fix the issue. But it is also necessary to test whether the lan port is working fine or not. I got the issue in my old desktop. The lan adapter was damaged. I do not know why but it stopped working automatically. I first tried to update the drivers by which it worked but for few couple of hours. Later on it completely stopped. The only last option which was left is to buy a lan pci card. It is relatively cheap on the market. But for laptop you cannot hook a separate pci card on the same. You need to carry the same to your nearest service center for repair. There are some usb cards, but I am not really sure whether they work fine or not. While if we talk about nas setup then it is just shared on the lan network. If it is properly shared and it is visible to all the devices which are on the network. Try changing the lan cables and then check back. I am sure that will fix the problem. Sometime issue lies with cables also and by replacing them the problem is simple resolved.

Yes it is a nice advice. Try to change the lan cable and then check back. I am sure the issue lies with that. Do you have a wifi in your laptop. If yes then try to connect through that. It might work if there is a router hooked on your lan network. Or else you cannot do anything on it.

You can test the lan connection with some basic things here. For that first you have to verify whether the lan drivers are installed or not. You can find the same by going in Device Manager. Just right click on the same and update drivers. If that does not work then first download the most fresh drivers from the manufacturer's website. You can find that easily on web. Just download the lan or chipset drivers first. Then right click on the lan adapter and simply uninstall it. Now again restart your pc and windows will popup a new hardware installation wizard. Run the setup of new drivers you had downloaded and then check back. I think that will be more than enough to fix the problem you are facing. You can find out the working of lan adapter by running the following command in cmd - ping 127.1.1.1 -t. Type the command and hit enter. That's all. You will get relative respond on your screen. If it is constant then the system will work fine and there will be no issue at all. But if there is a high ping respond or request time out errors then it means the lan adapter is not functioning well.

Just carry the laptop to your nearest service center. Which would be more better I think. I had also got a damaged lan adapter. But as my laptop was under warranty I got it replaced and there is no issue at all. It works fine without much issue.

I tried wifi connectivity here. It works fine. I also replaced the cable. I arranged a router and connected to the switch. Now in the wifi section of my laptop I can see the nas drive as well other shared content. It works fine and there is no issue at all. But when I try with the lan it does not work. The lan cable looks proper to me.

Then it is confirmed that the problem lies with the lan adapter. I will also recommend you to carry the same to a service center not in any regular repair shop. Once the adapter is replaced you will not face any problem it will work fine. There is one more way to get this work. Just check your laptop if there is any pci express slot available. If yes then you can buy a pci express lan adapter from web. It is relatively cheap and you can buy the same at reasonable rate. Just buy that and attach in your laptop. You can then connect the lan cable to the same and done. It will work fine with lan sharing and other stuff. It is one of the best way to deal the lan failure issue in old system which are not having any replacement warranty left. So that is one of the easiest way to get it work.