Thread: Where can i get drmk.sys for windows vista?

Where can i get drmk.sys for windows vista?

I have been running windows vista on my computer and now I got an error saying that "The file 'drmk.sys' on windows cd is needed". I don’t have much idea about it but then I just wanted to know that from where I can get this drmk.sys file for windows vista, is there anyone who has an idea about it??

Re: Where can i get drmk.sys for windows vista?

I will like to inform you that this file is also named as Microsoft Kernel DRM Descrambler Filter, the first thing that you can try is finding it out and in order to do so just follow the below steps:
    • Open Windows Explorer and then type this in the url section %systemroot%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository folder and open it up
    • After that just find out the wdmaudio.inf_identifer folder and then double click on same, I also wanted to add that the value "1493ef6e" of the identifier may vary.
    • You will get the wdmk.sys in that folder

Just try it out and then let me know if you are able to get it or not.

Even I need help regarding the same, actually I was installing drivers for a camera in my computer which is running on windows vista but then while doing the same I got the following error message:
    "Setup has detected that your computer is missing Windows files .. You may need your Windows cd-rom to continue."
    When I clicked and continued then I got the below error message:
    "The file 'drmk.sys' on windows cd is needed” I have tried to follow the %systemroot%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository folder path but then it is not working out for me, I think that my case is different, do you have any idea about this??

It did not work for me as well, I mean that even I am not getting the wdmk.sys from the path that you have specified, is there any other location where we can search for, any further help for the same will be appreciated.

Same here I have got this error last week and I am still getting it now, I have been trying to locate it but then I am not getting it out, I wanted to download it but then I am afraid to download it from other sites, is there anyone who can provide me an official site for the same, or is there anyone having it and can mail me up???

Downloading this file from any other site is really not recommended, there are possibilities that it may lead you to some other issue as well, the best solution that I have found so far is to get install a fresh copy of Windows and this will surely solve the issue.

Yes you can very well try out the above steps but then if that does not work for you then you can just try out the below steps in order to re-register drmk.sys:
    • First go to start and then click on run and then type “cmd” without the quotes and then press enter
    • After that you will get a black window, so just type "regsvr32 drmk.sys" and then press enter
    • Once you are done with the same then just reboot the computer.

Another way to avoid this error is by scanning and cleaning the registry at least once a month and also scanning the system for virus or spyware daily.