Thread: Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 - Not Connecting

Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 - Not Connecting

I was using this microsoft mouse in my pc when all of a sudden it stopped working. I thought my computer might have hanged but all keys on the keyboard were working fine, so I just restarted my pc. After restarting, I was asked via a notification to connect this mouse with a pairing number. Now, previously I used to switch on bluetooth and turn on the mouse and then I used to connect it without any issues. I even checked from its manual whether there is any kind of pairing number available for this mouse or not, but there were none. Now I dont have a clue how do i connect this mouse to my pc, please help.

Microsoft mouse are really cheap quality if compared to logitech or razor and hence I avoid it completely. But in any case, have you tried to change the battery of the mouse, it could be over and you may never know. Also, when re-seating new battery always remember to seat it firmly in the case or otherwise it may not work at all because the micro switch under the battery could not enable the mouse. Even if you think that the battery case is loose then put a piece of cloth over the battery and then see to it the compartment is tightly closed.

Re: Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 - Not Connecting

Even I got a problem with this MS Mouse 5000 in my Windows 7 built. Usually this mouse was able to connect to my pc for only 10 seconds and then used to disappear without any notification. I checked out many articles related to same problem where people were cursing this mouse. Also, I tried to set up Bluetooth service as automatic but that didnt even work and now my mouse is not recognizable at all. It definitely seems to be a mouse problem for sure.

Can you go into device manager and see to it whether there is any yellow exclamation mark next to any device? If it is the mouse then right click on it and select properties and then try to uninstall the driver that is installed on your pc and reboot the computer. On the next boot up, windows will try to automatically detect the driver for this mouse, once you try to connect it. If that still doesnt work then you can install the latest Microsoft IntelliPoint and/or IntelliType software from here. If still the issue persists, then try to connect the mouse in another pc and see whether it works there or not, if not then you can claim for a warranty replacement from microsoft.

I used to have similar kind of issues with this same mouse and the only fix that I found for it was to completely disconnect it from the bluetooth menu and delete it as well. Then after restarting the pc, in the bluetooth preference I used to choose the add a device option again and added the mouse back. What happens here is that it immediately recongnizes the mouse and then installs it required driver and alas the mouse used to work fine.

This is something totally weird about windows, why does it wants to reconnect the device again and again, where else if compared in macs bluetooth devices used to reconnect fine without so much of hassles, another reason to hate Microsoft.

Go to START icon and type in services.msc then select SERVICES.

The dialog box that opens has a long list of stuff but look for BLUETOOTH SUPPORT SERVICE. Double click to open. Make sure it is AUTOMATIC. Go to the LOG tab. Choose THIS ACCOUNT and type in LOCAL SERVICE. A list of password (a 15-dot string) would appear. Delete all the password in the PASSWORD and under CONFIRM. Choose OK.

Go to START icon and type in Bluetooth then select BLUETOOTH DEVICES. Choose the Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 from the list of devices connected to your PC and select REMOVE WIRELESS DEVICE. After the wireless mouse has been removed select ADD WIRELESS DEVICE. A pop up box will appear.

Turn on your wireless mouse and hold down the button used to make your device visible to your PC. (hold for about 1-2 seconds then let go) The mouse will blink red and green then show up in the pop up box after a few seconds. Select your wireless mouse from the list and choose NEXT. It will connect and install itself to your computer and should start working after that.

It's recommended restarting your PC after successfully connecting.

I hope this works! Good luck everyone!