Thread: Battery plugged in, not charging

Battery plugged in, not charging

I have a Gateway NX570X laptop which is running on Windows Vista. Recently i bought a new adapter for it because accidently it got slipped from the table and the AD adapter connector bent slightly. The voltage outputs and inputs are the same but it is an old adapter. It has been charging the laptop fine for a couple of months. But now a days it was charging less and less and finally it reached 0% battery available, even though plugged in. When the adapter is plugged in a different angle then it will start to charge the battery or otherwise it will not. I have tried replacing and removing the battery but it hasnt worked for me. I have also tried reinstalling the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery but that didnt work. When i contacted the gateway support they told me to jiggle the battery before buying a new one. So I am confused here whether it is a battery or the AC Adapter problem. Any ideas?

Re: Battery plugged in, not charging

I dont think that it is a battery problem at all. When you slipped the laptop, it might be that the charger component on the motherboard might have got damaged. So, maybe what you can do is, if the laptop is under warranty then call Gateway tech support and then ask them to replace the motherboard. If the Gateway is not under warranty then you will have to replace the motherboard at some cost, which would be high, either ways you can find out how expensive is it from their support site. Normally, this things can be fixed by soldering iron, but people who have got skills for it can do that pretty easily.

Yes, even i agree with the above post that you might have damaged the power jack of the gateway laptop. But concluding this, I guess you wont get the warranty repalcement of your motherboard because it was a physical damage which is unintentionally done, and most of the manufacturer's will not fix this things which is under warranty as per their terms and conditions. But if you can get a good repair shop, then you can try and get it fixed at some cheaper rate. Just copy all the importan data from your computer and back it up to some external storage so that atleast the data is safe for you.