Thread: Laptop speakers not working in windows.

Laptop speakers not working in windows.

I have recently bought and Asus laptop. Previously, the speakers of this laptop was working quite nicely but before 2 days, this speakers dont work at all. They will work at the start of the BIOS screen but after Windows loads up, the speaker dont seem to respond. I havent done any changes or such in my laptop. One thing that I have noticed is that when i plug the speakers or the headphones to the audio out, then they seem to be working. Any ideas whats going on here.

Have you checked whether they are not set to Mute in your audio mixer option? Even one of my friend was facing this same problem, when he boots his laptop, then at the Asus Bios screen he was able to hear the sounds from the speakers, but after when the Vista operating system loaded, the internal speakers wont respond and there was not sound. So, it seems to me that it isnt a speaker problem of the laptop but the problem is more with Vista itself. Check for any updated sound drivers that supports this OS from the Asus site.

I have checked the option and it isnt muted at all. When i check the quick launch area, there is an icon that says that something is already plugged in or unplugged from my audio jacks. I have even checked the Asus site but they are providing the same audio drivers that is with me already. I have tried installing and reinstalling the driver but still face the same problem. This is really frustrating, i will try to install Windows XP and see if the sound works in it or not.

Re: Laptop speakers not working in windows.

I was facing a similar case and I found out that the problem was with laptop hardware. It was an issue with the defective or a damaged headphone jack. What happens is that, this headphone jack reports a presence of jack that is already inserted and is plugged in, which is let by a switch or sensor and because of it, in windows the speakers get disabled. Since my laptop was under warranty I asked Asus to RMA my laptop and after getting the hardware replaced, everything was working properly as it should be. You could try to fiddling with the jack or blow it out with compressed air, but you have to be very careful to do this things.