Thread: Installing Printer on Vista Home "USB Device Not recognized"

Installing Printer on Vista Home "USB Device Not recognized"

Since last night it was impossible to install a printer CANON PIXMA iP2000 and i was getting a constant error message that "USB Device Not recognized" on my Vista Home OS. The printer is connected via USB and I even tried to install the drivers from the CANON utility cd but again it was giving me error saying that "unknown device software has been installed correctly". I checked device manager and an "unknown device" was listed, but from there when i tried to load the drivers i got this message "the best driver for your device is already installed". Please help

Re: Installing Printer on Vista Home "USB Device Not recognized"

Can you first of all startup windows and then just turn on the printer but do not yet connect it to the pc. After windows is running, plug in the usb cable into the printer and then try to plug in the usb port on your computer. After that let windows find the correct driver for your printer and check this time if the printer is getting recognized.

• Disconnect all USB devices from the computer and boot the computer in Safe Mode by pressing F8 when your computer starts.
    • Click START. Click Run. Type cmd and click OK. You should see a command prompt window.
    • Type "set DEVMGR_SHOW_DETAILS = 1" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
    • Type "set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES = 1" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
    • Type "start devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. You should see the "Device Manager".
    • Click View. Click Show hidden devices.
    • Clicking the "+" button to expand Imaging devices, Unknown devices, USB devices, Disk Drives, Storage Volumes, DVD / CD-ROM, and other classes that may be relevant to your non-working device.
    • If you see in any usb device that is listed just right click on it and from the drop menu click Uninstall. Be careful not to remove the hdd that is loaded with your Windows Operating System.
    • Click START. Click Run. Type in cmd and click OK.
    • At the command prompt, type the following (without the quotes) and press Enter after each command:
      "Cd\windows\inf"
      "Ren infcache.1*.Old"
      "Ren oem *. Inf*.Old"
      "Del C:\windows\setupapi.log"
      "Exit"
    • Removing VID_ .... keys from the registry will lead to the recognition of USB devices again when restarting the system.
    • Click START. Click Run. Type regedit and click OK. This should open the Registry Editor.
    • Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB.
    • Highlight and delete everything (except HID) VID_ .... keys.
    • Close the registry editor and turn off the computer.
    • While the computer is OFF, connect your printer to the USB port.
    • Turn on the computer.
    • AFTER Windows is fully launched connect the power cord to your printer.
    • To begin the process of detecting a new printer, simply reinstall its drivers.

WOW!! Just signed up to the site, you made my day! I was so frustrated with my delimma of "USB Device Not Recognized" and you simple suggestion kept me from throwing my printer out the window. Thanks alot, simple cable swap, and BAM! it's working!!

Holy cow. Worked on this forever. New cable solved my problem. Thanks!!! (My old cable worked fine on another computer, so I "knew" that wasn't the problem)!

Googled this post and signed up just to say thanks!! The usb port I was using did not seem compatible, on using the correct port and on using a new cable it all worked! It seems the epsons are not very flexible when handling older hardware!

This is as close as I could come to the problem we are having. Our old computer is now gone. We have just acquired a computer with Windows Vista Basic on it. So this may or may not apply to this particular situation...but, here goes. We use an old DOS program to load all of our business data in...I did say old right? We put this program on the Vista computer via the old hard drive and it "kinda" works. But we have a Tracfeeder Printer - Epson LQ590. It will work to print a test page but will NOT take a command to print an invoice from the DOS database. We actually got the database working but there are still some forward link problems in it and we need some feedback on that also. Back to the printer, everytime we ask it to print a box opens on top of the info that says...QUIT OR RETRY. And ofcourse we have to quit and reopen the database again. This same database will pick up other customers information and paste it to a new file being built and if we delete it it will be deleted from the original customers file too...aarrrggghhh! So, as you all can see we are spending more money on hours trying to get this ---- thing working than what we think it is worth. I just know someone out there somewhere will surely have a solution for this or atleast some input. BTW, we have converted the serial port to USB from the printer to the Vista, we have purchased a parallel PCI card and put it in the Vista and put the 25 pin on it from the printer and it still will not take a command to print from this DOS database....HELP!! PLEASE!!!

missaster101,
    Try the below printer code to open/close the print queue:
    set device to print
    set consol off
    set printer on
    set print to lpt1

.... print stuff etc

set printer off
    set console on
    set device to screen
    set printer to

It will surely resolve the print delay issue.

Thank you Einstein007! I will try this tomorrow when I get to work!