Thread: DVD+R discs burned in Vista can't be read on Vista machine

DVD+R discs burned in Vista can't be read on Vista machine

I have a HP laptop and it has a Slimtype DVD A DS8AZH ATA DVD writer. Now the problem with this dvd drive is that it hardly recognizes the DVD that is burned on this same laptop. When i insert a movie cd which is in avi file in the dvd writer, it thinks that the cd is blank and gives a message "Prepare this blank disc". Other kind of disc are read by this drive without any issues. Is it that the dvd drive is going dead or sort of?

Have you tried connecting that dvd writer in some other system and checked if it is working out there, if it does then you may rule out the problem being with dvd drive, but if it doesnt work then you have guessed it correct that the dvd drive is bad. Well, if the drive is working properly in other system, then you could also check for what controller is used, is it the same or not? You could also try to clean the connecting cable pins and its socket and see if that works. Lastly you can also try to clean the lenses but there half a chance if it will work or not.

Even i am having the same exact model dvd writer and also facing exact same problem. I used to burn CD's at 2x speed with my dvd writer and it was read properly but when I burn same company's dvds at the same write speed, then those are detected as blank. I am using Nero burning tool for burn cd/dvds. If there is anyone who can find some solutions for same, then it is highly welcome. thanks

Re: DVD+R discs burned in Vista can't be read on Vista machine

I am also having this problem in vista. Burnt data DVD's and once ejected they are no longer able to be read on same computer they were burnt from. Error msg notifying me the disc is blank and if I try to format - error msg claims disc is write protected. There is data on the disc's and there were no errors during the burn process and have tried both formats (live file system and Mastered).

It might be possible that the DVD writer driver not working properly or got corrupted that is why you are getting the problem reading the burn DVD. I will advise you to go re-installation of the driver for the DVD and see whether this is working for you or not. I think this will help you with the problem you are going through.

Thanks, will give it a go! Have been able to try the dvd's in another pc and they worked so just an issue with my pc in reading them. Although it reads others .... just not the ones it has burnt!!!! go figure!!! LOL