Thread: Delete volume external hard drive

Delete volume external hard drive

I have recently purchased a new Western Digital External Hard drive 250gb that i can use in my playstation 3. But I formatted it in the wrong way and now the drive is not getting recognized any where, even on my computer. What I did was, I accidentally deleted the volume in Disk Manager on my computer and now the drive has disappeared from the list of drives. How can i get this hard drive to appear again?

Re: Delete volume external hard drive

I think that, you will be able to see the drive in Device Manager or even Disk Manager, even if it is not appearing in either my computer or windows explorer. You can try to download some third party software that will create volume on your external drive and then you can easily recover the drives partition. Download some tools like GetDataBack for NTFS or something else and recover your drive pretty easily.

You can try to go into disk management and then can easily re-create the volume of your external hard drive that you have deleted by mistake. Simply, connect the usb hard drive to your computer and then right click on My Computer and choose the Manage option. After that go into Disk Management and you will see here that this drive would be listed, simply click on it to create a new volume and since you want to use it with Playstation 3, reformat the drive in Fat32 file format and then give it a drive letter and thus the drive will be back to normal and you will be also able to see the drive in Windows Explorer as well.

Hi,
    I did the same thing, tried following a guide to format the external hard drive, pressed delete format and it disappeared. I treid following your advice but it simply doesn't show up in disc management. There are no error messages it just doesnt show up at all on the computer.

You should able to see the partition in the disc management. Have you tried to check after rebooting your system.? Because after deleting an external partition, you can see the partition as unpartitioned space in Windows Vista. Then you need to right click on that and then select the shrink volume and then make partitions accordingly. I have done this for number of times, but never had any problem. If the problem still persist, you should make sure that your external hard drive is working properly.