Thread: Install 2 Video Cards on Vista, 1 Nvidia, 1 ATI?

Install 2 Video Cards on Vista, 1 Nvidia, 1 ATI?

I have installed 2 graphics card in my computer. The ATI X1550 video card uses the 15 inch monitor and the Nvidia 9600GT card uses the 22 inch monitor. Normally, the reason i do this is because, on the large screen I like to play games where on the small screen I open different applications which wont effect the gaming experience. This is working fine in my Windows XP operating system but I was wondering if this will work on Windows Vista, can anyone suggest?

I think that by using the second card it will take away many of the system resources such as your CPU and memory. But if you use the two displays in extended desktop mode then you wont lose performance at all and will gain only. And if you want to use Vista WDDM drivers then you will only have one driver and the 2 graphics card that you have have must use that same driver. However, you can try out the old XPDM drivers and then try to mix the video card from different manufacturers and see if that works, for more information, refer to the below link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/wind.../gg487363.aspx

I dont know if the things that you are trying can be done but you can try to use dual outputs of one of the graphics card to run 2 monitors for sure. I am using a Nvidia 8800gts video card and i am using a dual dvi output to run a 20 inch monitor and a 22 inch monitor. I have also set those monitor to extend the desktop onto the secondry monitor and thus can drag the programs over to it so that it can run. There is also no preformance issue when I am playing games on the same.