Thread: CD/DVD drive not showing up in my computer

CD/DVD drive not showing up in my computer

I dont know for sure what is causing the cd/dvd drive to be not working in my pc, but surely this all started when i removed some random applications from my computer. Then I read somewhere to fix this issue we need to delete all lower filters and upper filters by going into the registry but when i went into registry then I was not able to find the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, what could be the problem here.

Can you go into the BIOS of your computer and see if the cd/dvd drive is listed there. Well, if it is either appearing or not, then it could be a bad drive itself and the only way to fix this issue is by replacing the drive. You could also try to change the cable on which it is connected to the motherboard, also there might be possiblities of loose power cable on the drive or something other. How old is the dvd drive anyways?

In the BIOS the dvd drive is showing uo, and when i go into device manager also it is showing up there as well. There are also no error message or exclamation mark next to this device, so I dont think that it is a driver problem. But I will definitely try to reinstall its driver or firmware again, if i could find any. Thanks for the help though.

Re: CD/DVD drive not showing up in my computer

It could also be due to the fact of a drive mapping.

Do the following to see if it recognizes it at all:

- Right click on "My Computer" or "Computer" (depending on what operating system you have installed)
    - Under the computer management window, click the "Disk Management" label in the left hand panel
    - Look at the bottom of the window now, and see what "drives" are listed. If it shows your DVD/CD drive but doesn't have a letter assigned to it (such as D:\ or E:\), right click the CD/DVD drive, and in the sub window that pops up choose "change drive letter and path".

Good luck!