Thread: Hard Disk May be Corrupt *not sure*

Hard Disk May be Corrupt *not sure*

I recently bought a new HP laptop that came pre-installed with Windows Vista. Laptop is just about 2 months old and was working fine until yesterday morning. Since them whenever am starting the computer it reaches upto “Microsoft Corporation” loading sign and stuck there itself. It keeps on loading for hour and hour. I restarted the laptop several times but it reaches till there only.

Now as I don’t have the Vista installation CS as it came pre-installed I downloaded Vista repair Disk from web and tried repairing the OS. While running the disk I got a message saying “Your PC may restart several times, if its fixed it will boot normally else the disk will run again and continue.” There were number of points where system wanted me to restart I do so but it would then boot up and give me the "press any key to boot CD." This actually confused me as if the repair was incomplete then shouldn't the CD boot automatically. Once when i press ok to boot from Cd, it restarted form the beginning again because the repair was actually completed I guess but as the cd is bootable and is in the cd drive, I got that message and presses ok.

Later I found that the disk was unable to repair the system and hence I opened CMD using the repair disk and ran some test to see if the Hard disk is faulty but all results came fine and am sure that hard disk was good. Later wheni restarted the PC and ran the HP disk Check from the BIOS but it got stuck on 49% with the following error message:

Primary Hard Disk Self Test
    49 % Complete.....
    Failed - Replace Hard Disk 1 (Warranty ID - error code 10008)
    Press (Esc) to Continue
    Somebody please help me in this?

Re: Hard Disk May be Corrupt *not sure*

Well friend, I think you got your answer right in that error message. It already said “Failed - Replace Hard Disk 1”. That means that there is hardware failure. As you said the laptop is just 2 months old, you should not try doing anything else. Just take it to HP service center and get it fixed under warranty because there could be motherboard failure as well but we should start with the hard disk itself.

From the diagnostic reports you mentioned above, it clearly indicates that your hard disk has the problem. If you think how it could be as the laptop is new, than you are wrong. Such problems occur in brand new hard drives on the very next day as well. So better get it replaced without cost as it is still under warranty.

Hello friends, I need a similar kind of help.

My Vista’s behavior is changed from last couple of days and I too suspect there would be HDD failure or corruption. I tried to find out if there is any such diagnostic tool built in my BIOS, but seems like there is no such utility.

Can you guys suggest me any Free HDD bootable check utility ? Thanks in advance.

The one I have used is Seagate's SeaTools . It works well on Windows Vista. You can download it from here http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support...oads/seatools/