Thread: Dirt 3 not working on windows 8

Dirt 3 not working on windows 8

Dirt 3 is one of my favorite game but I am not able to get it working on my cousins system running windows 8. I have it installed in windows 7 and I don’t have any issues playing it there. I want to know all the possibilities of getting Dirt 3 running on a system running windows 8. Is there anyone who has managed to run it successfully by now? If yes then please let me know how.

Re: Dirt 3 not working on windows 8

You should have provided more information regarding your issue. “Dirt 3 not working on windows 8” doesn’t say all, I want to know if you are getting any error while launching the game. If yes, then make a note of it and post it in your next reply so that I can have better idea of the issue you are going through. There are many games that are still not compatible with windows, I am not sure if Dirt 3 is one amongst them.
    you know you've made it big on here when you have your own imposter

I don’t get any error, launching process starts up fine but it won’t complete it. It sits on saying loading but will never load it. I have tried waiting long but after running out of patience I have to kill the process from task manager. By now I have tried installing it quite a few times but I won’t run. I have cross checked about this issue over the web and I see many others who have raised the same question. However, I haven’t come across any effective solution to run it successfully. Is there some other alternate way of getting it working on windows 8? Any idea?

Yeah there are many others with the same topic. Anyways I have come across a guy who has installed Dirt 3 on windows 8 and is having it running without any issues. According to him, there is some compatibility issue with windows live downloaded installer. In that case you will have to install GFW-live and reinstall Dirt 3.
    I am not sure if that would work as I haven’t tested it out myself. I am running windows 7 and I do have Dirt 3 installed. If you want, then you can install GFW-live and try installing Dirt 3 after that. Just give it a try and post back if it actually helps, best of luck.
    If PrAcTiCe MaKeS pErFeCt AnD nObOdY iS pErFeCt WhY pRaTiCe...ThAtS wHaT pEoPlE mAkE hAcKs FoR

Did you try installing it in compatibility mode?? In case you haven’t then you can refer below steps for the same:
    • Right click on the installer and select properties
    • Click on compatibility tab, check mark “Run this program in compatibility mode” and select “Windows vista service pack 3” or some other option in the compatibility drop down box.
    • Click on Apply, click on Ok for saving the game and try installing the game again.

As mentioned above there are many games that are still not compatible with windows 8 but some games get installed and work fine when installed in compatibility mode under windows 8.

You can try out the solutions mentioned above but if you don’t get any luck, then you can cross check below things:
    • Runtime files included in the games are installed
    • Latest version of DirectX is installed
    • GFWL is installed
    • Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages are installed
    • There are no unnecessary application and unknown services running in the background.
    • Your system hardware like graphic card, sound card are having latest driver installed

In some cases you might have to disable your antivirus and security programs while launching the game but just make sure that you are turning it on as soon as you are done with your gaming session.

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTICE View Post
    Yeah there are many others with the same topic. Anyways I have come across a guy who has installed Dirt 3 on windows 8 and is having it running without any issues. According to him, there is some compatibility issue with windows live downloaded installer. In that case you will have to install GFW-live and reinstall Dirt 3.
    I am not sure if that would work as I haven’t tested it out myself. I am running windows 7 and I do have Dirt 3 installed. If you want, then you can install GFW-live and try installing Dirt 3 after that. Just give it a try and post back if it actually helps, best of luck.
    Thanks JUSTICE , Installing GFW-live and reinstalling Dirt 3 worked. I can play the game without any issues like I used to play it on windows 7.