Thread: No open world PvP in Guild Wars 2

No open world PvP in Guild Wars 2

I have been playing MMO games from long time and I have played some great MMO games like World of Warcraft, Diablo 3, Gunshine and so on. Every of this game had PvP type of fights in it. We can challenge any friend or maybe in game member to fight with us in one on one fight. I think that this feature should have been made available in Guild Wars 2 as it is one of the basic features of an MMO game. What do other MMO players think about the missing MMO from Guild Wars 2?

Re: No open world PvP in Guild Wars 2

I too am disappointed by the missing PvP in Guild Wars 2, but I think that it is right decision taken by the developers to avoid it. The in game world of this game is so large that if we challenge someone for the fight, it will take us no less than 10 minutes to reach for the fight. It will lead to lot of time being wasted. It will become more irritating to have PvP fights in the snowy areas. The whole area consists of mountains and various terrains. Reaching for PvP will be more difficult. Also with such a big area, if player is running towards the location, then he/she maybe attacked by some other enemy too. So I agree with the developers to not have PvP in Guild Wars 2.

I had played Gunshine and it had PvP, but it was nice. It was no open world PvP, but there were some specific spots on the map where we can have a PvP fight. The PvP fight arenas were like boxing ring, mazes, ruined buildings and so on. This made PvP easier as we didn’t need to challenge anyone specifically. All we had to do was to enter the arena and wait for someone to manually come inside it and start fighting. I think Guild Wars 2 too should have something like it. This would simplify the concept of PvP in this game.

Open world PvP is not practical in Guild Wars 2 because of the large world. It might happen that one player might challenge another player for a fight and then run away if no restriction is put on it. The world is so large that a character with good speed will easily outrun the other character. I think this will lead to problems like getting stuck in a PvP because other player fails to come. Also a player who is too much powerful with high level might keep on challenging lower level players. This will become harmful as the new players will lose interest if the higher level players keep defeating them.

Since Guild Wars 2 has a large world; organizing PvP will be a huge task for the developers. I think it will be good if the PvP has restricted area. A closed arena where players can fight against each other. Also there must be level restriction in it. Like a level 1 to 10 player can fight among each other but not with level 20. Levels can be divided into various divisions for better gameplay. Also there must be some rules for the fights that the players will decide. For example, no use of certain powers or weapons. Many players with bigger powers will kill many players in the PvP arena by just use of a big power. This will again lead to overpowering of single player. I think such PvP will be fun.

Developers can organize daily or weekly contests if PvP are enabled. For example, a person with highest score in PvP will get some bonus price. The bonus price can include special weapon or limited edition items. This will be more fun than PvP in other games. But PvP in Guild Wars 2 should be free. There must be no requirement to enter it. Only the level restrictions on the PvP should play the role. Developers can create their own monsters or strong players in PvP arena. Defeating those units will give us better rank or bonus items. There are many things that the developers can do with the PvP in this game. It’s just matter of time for developers if they want to introduce it in this game.

I think people should remain calm and let the developers do their work. Guild Wars 2 is new game and it will take time for the developers to introduce new things in it. There are still lots many issues with this game that the developers should fix. The game crashes in the trading post. Also it suffers issues with connectivity and other such issues. I am sure that ArenaNet is no new to MMO games. They too must be knowing what a PvP is and its importance in MMO games. I think they must be thinking of implementing it in coming days.

There have been many complaints of game not connecting properly or servers not behaving properly for this game. If PvP is introduced in Guild Wars 2, then it might create problems such as allocation of server space and so on. Even in the group formation, is buggy as many people are getting warnings about the server space not being available. Even PvP will require its own amount of server space. I think we should let the developers have some time so that they can expand the game and introduce new things in it. Also PvP won’t be fun if there is inequality in the players playing it. I am thinking that it is better to get PvP late. By the time it is introduced, there will be many people with high level. This will be more interesting then.

As we all know that Guild Wars 2 is a new game developers haven’t unlocked everything available in the trading post here. We can still see lot many things that are not available to buy. This means that ArenaNet will need some time to enhance the game. Also with the restricted amount of weapons and items available in this game, I don’t think that PvP will be fun.

The limited amount of weapons will make the fights repetitive. There won’t be much challenge then. I too think that PvP should be introduced when there are many items and weapons at disposal so that we can create more fun out of various possibilities and combination of weapons and powers.

I think that there must be tournaments in the PvP mode of Guild Wars 2. For example, there should be various PvP arenas. The person with highest score in each at the end of the week will be let into single PvP arena. There can be various rounds to declare the best out of them. It will be totally fun and interesting to see people fighting for weekly glory. Other people who didn’t qualify for the weekly PvP match can be spectator or maybe place virtual bets. ArenaNet can expand games in various ways if they decide to bring in PvP.