Thread: Is Guild Wars 2 an anti-social MMO game?

Is Guild Wars 2 an anti-social MMO game?

I have started playing Guild Wars 2 yesterday and I have played around for six to seven hours now. After playing this game, I find it very anti-social. By anti-social, I mean that less emphasis has been given on the socializing features and the part where we need to interact with other players who are being controlled by other humans. Guild Wars 2 is mainly focused on the story and not on social features. This are just my thoughts, maybe it is me who must have not interacted with the other players much. So can someone else too tell me their own opinions on this part?

Re: Is Guild Wars 2 an anti-social MMO game?

I too feel the same way about socializing in Guild Wars 2. There are ways to form a group and complete adventures here in this game. But when we form a group, nobody seems to care about what happens in the group. All they do is to roam around the world all by themselves and abandon the group. When we need to complete a mission which we find difficult, we call other people who are nearby to form a group so that we can tackle down the enemy in group which would be easier than going alone. People accept the request giving us an illusion that we will get help. But as the fight begins, they either take leave or go on exploring their own territories.

I think that the only time when we actually see a group fighting united is when one has to enter the dungeons in Guild Wars 2. The dungeons are dangerous place to enter. So we need to form group in any case to enter it. The developers have devised a good way to form the group. The person who wants to enter the group has to start the auto group maker which will find gamers who are ready to enter the same dungeons which we want to and then get all of us in it. But again in this group we find some person who goes off wandering in some other places.

I had a good experience in a group which had no mission to do. We were just roaming around various town and destroying anything that comes in the way. It was of no mission and neither were we getting much XP. We were just having fun breaking the towns. The funniest part was when some other person was coming in the town to complete some mission or gather some item; we would either pick it up or break it down. It was funny to see that player coming so far only to see the item broken down or missing. In rage they would come to fight failing to realize that we were all in group. It was a fun group consisting of some 15 to 20 people.

You can’t expect anybody to join your group without seeking any profit from it. I suggest that you pick players with lower level than yours. The people are excited to know what is going to happen in the game next. If you pick on a member with lower level than yours, it might happen that he/she might get excited that to join a stronger player and join you. Also out of curiosity to see what is there beyond his own level might get you a new group member. I usually pick such members as they prove more helpful. The players who have level higher than yours have already gone through the level or dungeon for which you must be asking help. So they know what’s inside and thus they don’t join your group.

You can’t expect to get help from people every time. They too have their own quest to explore and own side quests to complete in Guild Wars 2. This game works like real life. If you know a person and you call him for help, he might come for your help when needed. But if you keep him calling every time, he is bound to avoid you. To get help from him, you need to help him too. So it is not just about you and your missions in Guild Wars 2. If you want help from someone, then I suggest that you should also help them when needed. If you are getting requests for help, I suggest that you should provide them support too. You have to build a strong friendship with the other players such that they will come for your help when needed.

You don’t just go on asking any random stranger in the game to accompany you on any mission. You should first join a guild and help its members to complete their objectives. Once they get start recognizing you, they will join you for help when you need. I suggest that you should join groups which have members with level close to yours. I you join a group with members having level higher than yours than you will be of no help as their missions will be too tough for you. If you join group with members having level much lower than you, then it might happen that you won’t get fun as you have already completed the levels they are playing. So find group that has members of same level as yours.

I think that best way to make friendship in Guild Wars 2 is by trading items. If you have some items that you don’t need then don’t sell it or throw it away. You better trade it with some other player. If the player is in need of some powerful weapon then he will become happy and then remember to help you when needed. You can trade such items to make better group and partner. Once you get recognition in the game, people will come to help you.