Thread: How to do a lock-picking with keyboard in Sleeping Dogs Game

How to do a lock-picking with keyboard in Sleeping Dogs Game

I have started playing Sleeping Dogs on my computer and I have reached a point where I have to pick a lock on some door. All we have to do here is to keep pressing the up button repeatedly and then when the lock pin turns green in color we have to quickly press the left button to shift the lock picking on the next pin. I have tried picking the lock around eight times only to fail. I wanted to know if this lock picking mini game in Sleeping Dogs is this hard or am I doing something wrong?

Re: How to do a lock-picking with keyboard in Sleeping Dogs Game

The lock picking mini game in Sleeping Dogs is designed to be hard and thus you are finding it difficult to complete. Actually the problem is that Sleeping Dogs is ported from console to PC. So if you play this same mini game using Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 gamepad on computer, you will easily complete it. Also when playing this game on console, you won’t find it difficult to complete. The analog stick of the gamepads provides comfort while pressing the keys quickly as we need to do it in this game. But the same quickness is not possible in the keyboard.

I don’t think that lock picking technique designed in Sleeping Dogs is not that hard. I am using a gaming keyboard and let me tell you that this is very easy. These types of lock picking methods are also used in Splinter Cell series. There is nothing new about this type of lock picking method. In Sleeping Dogs you just have to keep pressing single key, which is the up key to get the pin in right position. But in Splinter Cell game, you will need to press more than one key to get the combination right. I think that you are new to this kind of lock picking mini game and thus you are finding it difficult. You can try more till you get the things right.

Actually the problem with Sleeping Dogs is that it catches the keyboard ghosting easily. For example, if you press the up key 10 times in a row, then the pin of the lock must have got pressed to be of green color in 8 turns itself, but the game still registers the next two key presses for the up key. In this method, even if you press the left key when it shows up on the screen, the presses of the up key continue to work. This problem of keyboard ghosting is not present when you are using gaming keyboards. It can be clearly seen in case of Shae’s keyboard. When he has already pressed up key for 10 times and after 8 turns he presses, left key. The remaining presses of up key gets cancelled out and the left key is registered.

I don’t think that anybody should find the lock picking on Sleeping Dogs this hard that they’ll need to keep trying for eight times and fail at every attempt. It is easy and simple as other games. For example, Skyrim and Oblivion too had the same technique. Even Splinter Cell and Mafia II have this type of lock picking. If you are a regular gamer, then it shouldn’t be difficult for you. This isn’t some rocket science. Just keep calm and avoid random tapping. Instead give small pauses between two presses. The more you hurry, more difficult it will be.