Thread: Dark Souls game is the worst console port game ever made

Dark Souls game is the worst console port game ever made

I have just started playing Dark Souls on my PC and after playing this game for around half an hour I realized that it is nothing a I has seen on the Xbox 360 of my friend. The graphics were bad as compared to the Xbox 260 version of this game. Also the controls for this game when played using keyboard were totally bad. First of all I wasn’t even able to get controls properly and when I understood the controls, I understood that they were arranged so badly that it makes the game unplayable. I think Dark Souls must be the worst game porting done ever. What do other people feel about it?

Re: Dark Souls game is the worst console port game ever made

I agree that graphics of the PC version of Dark Souls is worse than that are available in console version of this game. The texture used in the PC version seems blocky while textures on certain small objects in the environment of the game get a fuzzy look because of the textures. Even the textures used on the enemies have an uneven kind of looks which creates a feeling of unevenness. Because of this many times, it looks like there is an object with sharp edges between soft edged objects. Usually I have seen that games ported from console to PC have better quality of graphics, but in case of Dark Souls, developers have failed to achieve it.

The worst part of this game is that there are no proper instructions about what we have to do next. There are some basic instructions that’s it, but there is no tutorial kind of level or part where the game lets us know how to play this game and so on. It is like starting a game from a mid level and guessing what we have to do next. There is no way developers have let us know what the controls we require in this game are.

The instructions are shown in Xbox 360 form, that is, ‘Press A to loot the body’. When playing with keyboard, there is no green colored ‘A’ key on it. This confused me a lot and that too many times.

There is no way developers have let us know what the controls we require in this game are. The instructions are shown in Xbox 360 form, that is, ‘Press A to loot the body’. When playing with keyboard, there is no green colored ‘A’ key on it. This confused me a lot and that too many times.
    I too feel that an improper instruction for control has caused this game to be called as a bad port to PC from console. When I started playing Dark Souls, I thought that everything will be fine. Then I was in the fight zone and suddenly I was trying to attack. Then suddenly a message came on the screen saying ‘Press ‘LB’ to attack’ I frantically pressed every possible key that could be for attack. I even attacked once but didn’t realize which key it was. So I had to switch away from the game and take a look at the guide to know which key was for what. Let me tell you that it took me twenty minutes to figure out which key on keyboard would match with key on Xbox 360 controller.

The problem with improper instructions for the controller is a common problem with the games ported from consoles to PC. It is not just Dark Souls that has this problem but there are many other games too. I don’t understand why the developers don’t put a notice on its pack saying that corresponding game works best with Xbox 360 controller. This is what is mentioned on packs of FIFA games and we know that key binding will not be proper. They should have also mentioned it along with Dark Souls. I think that developers should bring out a patch that will rectify the improper key configuration of this game.

I think that the cursor lock used in Dark Souls is another bad thing that developers have done to make the port work even bad. I mean I have a high end computer at my home and it can run Dark Souls at 80 to 90 fps. But the game restricts the framerate to 60 fps to 70 fps. Also the graphics for the characters of this game looks blocking. The shoulder plates of the enemy or on our character’s shoulder don’t have perfect smooth circular shape. They are kind of edgy and give sharp looks. I think this is the reason that we feel that the graphics of this game is low.

I think that when porting Dark Souls from console to PC, the developers didn’t configure the movements of the joystick on the gamepad properly so that it matches the movements of the mouse. If you rotate the camera with mouse the rotation seems very slow. The joystick when moved with thumb responds very quickly to move the camera around at faster rate. But because mouse is large in size so is its movement, the camera moves at slower rate. I think that these problems are making the game unplayable.

Dark Souls is also very buggy game that it makes the itself almost unplayable. The area behind the health bar goes black and thus it creates problem. Also the game has problem with AMD graphic cards. It doesn’t work properly with it. The graphic card starts underperforming and also doesn’t give proper performance to the game. We, who now have AMD graphic card will need to wait for AMD to release graphic drivers which will work properly with Dark Souls. Also the anti-aliasing feature of this game isn’t proper.

The developers of Dark Souls haven’t even corrected the mouse acceleration and the problems created by it. The camera goes shaky and bouncy many times. To avoid it we have to reduce the speed of the mouse from Control Panel. Then again we have to increase the speed of the mouse to make it normal for other applications and softwares. There are many other problems with Dark Souls that you will find here. This game is badly ported and I think that developers should have done much better than this